Hello All, I have just recently rebuilt the engine, TMD20 diesel, on my Case 1835C skid steer. The oil pump failed and caused all kinds of damage internally. It ran a bit before I rebuilt it so the injection pump was working but now I can't get it to work. I know this is not the only thread dealing with this issue and I have tried all suggested remedies but cant get fuel to the injectors. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks John
What pump do u have?? Inline, rotary.?? Bosch or CAV/Delphi.??
Thanks for getting back to me. The Pump is a Stanadyne, I think model DB2-4627 also has TMD20F211 and 2700 stamped, serial #6325470 I know very little about injection pumps these numbers were on its ID tag
Ok good.. I take it u checked to see if u had 12v at the shut off solenoid in the top cover.?? If yes, loosen the steel lines from the pump to the injectors AT THE INJECTORS, just a couple of turns. Make sure u have fuel at the pump inlet.. Remove ALL the return line fittings.. If done correctly, u should be starring at a hole in the cover.. Next crank the engine AT FULL THROTTLE.. Look to see if anything is coming out of the loosened lines.. If yes, tighten them up & start the engine.. Pull the throttle back to low idle and start screwing the connectors back in the top cover.. SLOWLY.. If it stays running good.. If it shuts off, find the clog.. If it doesn’t start, remove the top cover.. IF IT DOESNT HAVE TAMPER SCREWS.. Look up Stanadyne Metering Valve. So u know what to look for.. when you get the tamper bit.. It needs to b free..
I have read past posts and performed what ever was suggested. Used a battery to listen for the solenoid and appears to open and close as it should. Have removed all plumbing with the return lines and noticed that as it sits fuel slowly flows out of the open hole and when I crank it with wide open throttle fuel flows faster out the hole. I have the lines off at the injectors and have cranked the dickens out of the engine with the glow plugs out and still no fuel at the injectors. The electric fuel pump pumps fuel out of the open hole slowly as well. I havent removed the top cover yet since the solenoid appears to be working.
U wanna check to see if the MV is free.. so if u can, remove the top cover.. Search Stanadyne/ RoosaMaster metering valve..
As advised i removed the top cover and while off i checked the solenoid action and it worked fine but i can't understand what it does when the cover is back on or what it is supposed to move doesn't move in that direction. I looked up what the metering valve looks like but while the cover was off i didn't notice anything like it. Also, the rod that the throttle is attached to just compresses a spring which to me doesn't do anything either, I am going to watch some you tube to see what the parts that i can see with the cover off are supposed to do. Thank you for your help. If the valve you are referring to is the one on top of the cover with the little check ball it is free and appears to move with the spring behind it.
The mv is under the top cover.. Move your throttle to the low idle position... then see if the mv is free.. U should be able to move its arm.. The rod is holding the mv DOWN.. The mv arm is to the right..
I found a manual on line for the DB2 pump and the metering valve is under the throttle shaft, which i can't see, and to get to it the shaft has to be removed along with the govenor spring assembly and basically everything under the cover. Way beyond my comfort level so i will remove the pump next spring and have it rebuilt. Tomorrow I will try to get the machine into my shed before it starts snowing here. Thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it. John
Your talking about removing it.. All I want you to do is MOVE IT.. The ARM is readily accessible..
I will give it a try since pushing/pulling it into my shed would be much easier than driving, Thanks
Appears everything moves freely under the cover, not sure that was the case yesterday but I bleed the system with the electric pump , opened the throttle, and turned it over another million times. Not a drop at the injectors, but the return line is filling up with fuel. It truly has me stumped. Thanks again for helping me.
It happens ALL THE TIME.. Don’t confuse the return w pumping.. they are 2 different circuits.. 1 is low pressure and 1 is hi pressure.. If u wanted to experiment.. Shut off the fuel. Remove the top cover and loosen the side cover.. let the fuel drain out..& snug up the side cover.. Now fill it up w your favorite penetrating oil and leave it for a few days/weeks.. Who knows, it might work.?? Then after the time lapse turn the fuel back on and bleed the system again.. Good luck.
Well, it is safely tucked away in my shed but I may give your suggestion a try. Would it hurt to leave the penetrating oil in for 6 months because that is how long I plan to stay in AZ for the winter. Thanks again for all of your help.
Yes... ANYTHING left that long w/o some kind of fuel additive WILL GUM UP.. And even then ur pushing your luck.. I wouldn’t leave the penetrating oil in there, no way..