Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1835c Tmd-20 engine trouble

jingle28 ยท 2015-10-13 05:58

My TMD-20 was running great and all of the sudden over-heated. I'm pretty sure it fried my head gasket because of a loss of compression. I'm looking for opinions on what to check into other than the normal thermostat sticking. I have noticed it smoking a little more than normal, curious as to whether my injection pump timing could have a factor in this thing over-heating.. Any thoughts on what to check and what to look for after the over-heat would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1lantraxco2015-10-13 12:01

    Could be a chicken/egg thing, if for some reason the head gasket started leaking combustion chamber gasses into the coolant, you get coolant loss and overheat pretty quick. Or vice versa.

  2. #2jingle282015-10-13 13:25

    What are the chances that my cylinder or head is toast? At the end of the overheat, all of my coolant was in the oil pan... I've seen some in oil before but never all of it.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-10-13 15:25

    Hard to say, could be just a gasket, could be something more serious. I'm not familiar with this particular engine but it looks like there's no liners in it. More likely a gasket or something repairable than either a cracked head or block I would think. Coolant in the basement makes me wonder, just like I suggested above, was the coolant loss because of the overheat, or the cause of the overheat? Have to tear it down to know, or if there's any way you can pull the pan and look up while someone pours water into it. maybe you can see where the coolant is leaking through.