Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 1838 – CREEP FORWARD or REARWARD DURING START, WHY ?

HighFly27 ยท 2018-10-24 22:13

24 Oct., 2018 Hello All, I have a Case 1838 that's lurching forward or rearward during Engine Start. I'm a Diesel Mechanic but have No Idea what the deal is with this Creep/ Lurching when I try to start it. It's so bad, it's dragging the diesel engine down during start with the hydraulics kicking in & reduce the cranking speed. However, from the best I remember, my Case 1838 did not creep (that much) when it was running. I have not started it for over a year. I need it now to clean up my property from Hurricane Micheal in FL. So, I would really appreciate any help on this Creeping Deal. I have Searched this forum and others. I read about --adjustment of the steering levers, parking brake and other (possible) problems connected with creep, my problem is during start up. Thanks in Advance, Avery

Replies8
  1. #1heymccall2018-10-24 23:04

    Remove seat. Disconnect linkage ball joints from travel pump levers. Work each lever on the pumps by hand and verify that they neutral out when released from both directions. Now, when placing the ball joints back in the levers, they should drop in squarely.

  2. #2HighFly272018-10-24 23:42

    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Heymccall, I Thank You and will post my findings tomorrow. My Case 1838 had set for about a year. I did not notice this creep problem ... that much in the past. I did have some creeping but not that much... now it is quite a lot, the engine is pulled down. Thanks Again, Avery

  3. #3DIYDAVE2018-10-25 06:23

    Also, if the above don't work, verify that you have the correct oil, in the pump sump. How do you verify? Change it to what the manual says. Too thick an oil, particularly in cold weather, can cause the creep...

  4. #4HighFly272018-10-25 12:43

    25 Oct., 2018 DIYDAVE, I will check this out too. I think it may be linkage that's Out of Neutral Adjustment and will do this first. My Case 1838 ran A OK before. However, it was operated last in the Summer of 2017, with No Issues. I just Bought a Grapple Claw for my Case 1838. Do you have any Idea where to Plumb it into _________ (location) ? I have looked on Amazon and Bailey's for a 3rd Function Kit to Control the Grapple Claw. However, I did not see (location on Case 1838) where I would Connect the Hyd. Lines Up __________ ? Also, I just got a Case Service Manual and Looked at it last night, it's down loaded on laptop. It's Not the Exact One for my Case 1838, it's for a Case 1840 but close in Regard to my Case Spec's from what I read. Thank's in Advance, Avery

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-10-25 13:17

    Isn't your right control lever hinged in and out for aux hydraulics?

  6. #6funwithfuel2018-10-25 13:25

    I "borrowed " this screenshot. This is what I'm describing.

  7. #7heymccall2018-10-25 14:43

    Auxiliaries in an 1838 are solely on the foot pedal actuated valve.

  8. #8HighFly272018-10-25 15:46

    25 Oct., 2018 My Case 1838 does Not have Foot Pedals. I assume that this is an Option and Not Installed on my Case 1838. I could/ may install a Foot Operated 3rd Function Valve. I see these type of Control Valves sold by Northern and other Suppliers. I think the Price ($ 150.00) is Cheaper Vs 3rd Function Control Kits, they cost around $ 500.00 bucks. However, I do not see/ know where these Two Hyd. Lines would come from to supply the foot operated valve and then feed the Hyd. Lines to the Grapple Hyd. Cylinder. This is a Case 1838 Uni-loader. Can anyone Bird Dog the Hook Up Point for me on my Case 1838 ? Also, I saw then provided linkage (attached) diagram for a foot operated valve but where do the Hyd. Lines Connect to ? Avery