Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 Electrical HELP!!!

silverrex4 ยท 2024-05-27 14:36

Hey guys, have a 01 case 1840. Started it up yesterday and was moving dirt and went into another pile and the lift and tilt functions stopped. Drives normally. No idea. Parked it, went to start it today and zero crank. I checked everything and getting zero power even at the key. Just pulled the starter to see if it's bad. Not sure if that acts like a bridge to power everything else. I get 12v to solenoid, I get power to the first little voltage regulator on one side of the bolt the other side nothing. Everything else has zero volts. All fuses and relays no power. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies20
  1. #1kshansen2024-05-27 15:07

    ot As you did not post a S/N as a wild guess I'm attaching the wiring diagram I have for a 140 and 1845. It's for 1840 P.I.N. JAF0223013 and earlier. If yours is in that range it might help.

  2. #2silverrex42024-05-27 15:26

    Sorry it JA0288 and above. I searched the previous posts and have that diagram, appreciate it much. I tested the starter, it works fine. It has 2 posts and trigger wire and checks out. Definitely a short or safety switch, or circuit breaker, going to see if I can keep trouble shooting but any help from the guys would be great.

  3. #3kshansen2024-05-27 15:33

    If you are going to keep this machine it might pay to search for a good used service manual online.

  4. #4silverrex42024-05-27 15:58

    Absolutely, will do thanks again for the quick replies

  5. #5silverrex42024-05-27 21:22

    Update: Cleaned all connectors and replaced the breaker and I finally have start up just don't have lift and tilt. Going to try more. I took rear pump off but the splines are all good, is there a stuck valve I can check?

  6. #6Arny L2024-05-27 22:18

    Have you checked seat occupant sensor, door safety switch, lap bar switch, these can all cause a loss of bucket controls. Slam your self into seat, a few times, to see if you can get it to work. Check door switch and lap bar switch for function and alignment.

  7. #7silverrex42024-05-27 22:53

    Seat switch was disconnected before I got it, no door on machine, lap bar I don't think there is one, only cables that release the wheel brakes but I will double check, thank you much

  8. #8silverrex42024-05-29 21:58

    Update guys, got the bucket off, loader does lift and tilt really slow but have to turn up the throttle. Do you think it's a stuck valve. I took the covers off the 2 valves that control the lift and tilt but not sure what I'm looking for. Any help would be great Thanks

  9. #9stefuel2024-06-02 19:58

    Stupid question. Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level? I'm assuming yours is just like mine only a year or two newer. All the bucket controls are mechanical and mostly under the seat. Do the controls feel normal or stiff? There is a linkage associated with the lap bar that locks out the bucket controls when not pulled down.

  10. #10silverrex42024-07-16 15:39

    Yah I checked those, I just changed the pump thinking that was last resort and nope. Still no up or down. I just took the main relief valve out. Is there an adjustment? It looks like it just spins. I'm definitely missing something here. Definitely not get flow, something is stuck.

  11. #11silverrex42024-07-16 15:58

    nm Lol

  12. #12alrman2024-07-16 16:45

    You really need to test the main relief pressure by using a test gauge. Should be around 2500psi at full rpm (& near that at idle or slightly above) 1840's do not have any electrical valving that can disable the hydraulics. You have a mechanical problem, either pump or valve.

  13. #13silverrex42024-07-16 16:52

    Pump is brand new, so at this point maybe the main valve is bad, I took it out and it seems in tac. But not too familiar with them.

  14. #14alrman2024-07-16 17:00

    I would recommend to put the relief valve back in & test the pressure. Sometimes there could be something stuck under the poppet, a piece of oring or steel. But, you are the one looking at it...... CNH say the main relief is not servicable.

  15. #15silverrex42024-07-16 17:16

    OK, I'll try that, test pressure and I'll see what new ones are going for.

  16. #16Welder Dave2024-07-17 01:44

    Could the aux. hydraulics be partly engaged? That can cause some weird problems especially with the boom and bucket functions.

  17. #17silverrex42024-07-17 06:42

    I Will try again with that. Foot pedal stays in the center. You can push left and right and you hear the line shake when you push on the pedal left or right. There is a restriction somewhere that is not allowing the pressure. And main relief valve is so overpriced.

  18. #18silverrex42024-07-17 09:56

    Guys, I got it. Took main relief valve off, took cap off, cleaned it out with brake clean and bam. The needle on the inside must have been stuck and or had debris. Thankyou guys all very much for all the help. Much appreciated

  19. #19Welder Dave2024-07-17 14:03

    Glad you got it figured out. I'm hoping I can get my grader articulation working with a similar type of fix.

  20. #20silverrex42024-07-17 15:17

    As someone state here, could be just a small piece of something in the relief valve that's causing the issue. Sometimes double and triple checking and going over things does help