I have a mid 90's CASE 1840 that shutoff one day after operating flawlessly for a year. I discovered the 30amp inline fuse (hot leg from the starter) burnt so I changed it. It would start and run for a few minutes then the fuse would get very hot and then pop. I suspected the ignition switch not shutting off power supply after starting so I changed the switch. Now it will start but not stay running when I release the key. The fuel shutoff solenoid actuates when starting but will not stay open when the key is released. I suspect the solenoid may be bad but am unsure. It is the plunger arm with mechanical linkage type shutoff. Can anyone give me advice? I applied power to the black leg (there are 3 wires going to the solenoid, red, black and white) and the solenoid operated but not when power was applied to the red leg. The white comes from the solenoid rely from what I can tell. Thank you in advance for the assistance.
Black wire is GROUND RED IS RUN (HOLD) White is pull in for starting. When testing off the vehicle (best way) Hook up a battery or charger..w alligator clips.. Black is ground. White is +.. put pressure on plunger.. it should snap shut.. Next, move the + to RED WIRE and put pressure on the plunger.. it should snap shut and hold.. If all that works as described, the solenoid is ok..BUT it’s possible that once it gets hot, the windings fail.?? U HAVE TO MAKE SURE that the plunger bottoms in it’s housing when activated on the pump.. there’s adjusting nuts..