Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 Inspection

Marco Valenzuela ยท 2022-11-06 21:53

Hello, looking to pick up a small skid steer. I have a large paver job to do at home and have a lot of dirt to move out and road base to bring in. I found a Case 1840 about 30 miles away, owned private party. Per the foreman, everything is in working condition and it was recently serviced by Case. The tech said it was in good shape for its age. It has the Cummins 4b, the machine looks straight other than the engine door. Is it normal for these skid steers to bounce a little when turning? I found that in most Bobcats that I have test driven, the only one that hasn't done that was a 953. Aside from the obvious like oil leaks, anything I should look for? Thanks, Marco

Replies7
  1. #1Ed ke6bnl2022-11-06 22:47

    My 1840 bounces a little when turning sharp. But no authority on right and wrong.

  2. #2Marco Valenzuela2022-11-06 23:21

    Videos of it working:

  3. #3jacobd2022-11-07 00:47

    Looks good to me!

  4. #4Ed ke6bnl2022-11-07 08:20

    look just like my 1840 running around

  5. #5hookedondiesel2022-11-07 12:31

    Hey Marco, if you don't mind, how much is he asking for it.

  6. #6KSSS2022-11-07 13:44

    Probably the biggest issue with these machines in my opinion, and i owned 6 1840's in the 90's is the brake system. That pin system in the hubs was never a great idea in my opinion. When you run it, put it on an incline (either direction) and let it roll a little and lift the arm rests. The pins should find the holes in the hubs and lock up. I would make sure that both sides work. Usually the belly gets full of material and that jacks up the springs, sometimes the pins get broke off and it wont lock up that wheel. To release the brake put the loader arm down move gentle up the incline, that will release the pressure and allow the pin to retract from the hub. You can feel it when the pins retract. If you do that everytime you brake on an incline, your brakes will last a long time.

  7. #7KSSS2022-11-08 09:49

    I miss wrote that last paragraph. Put the lap bar up and gentle move up the incline until the pins retract is what I should have wrote.