Hello all, I have an older Bobcat S185 that has around 1150 hours on it. We have kept it serviced and taken good care of it over the years. Today I was feeding a round bale of hay and after I dumped it and was returning for another bale the S185 suddenly stalled and the engine quit. It acted like I was trying to lift too much and went wide open into a gravel pile without letting up. Again, I had no load on the machine and was driving straight and level. So I let it sit for 30 seconds or so, then restarted and it acted fine. Lifted the loader up and down and began to go towards the barn. Once I got there it did the same thing again. It stalled out very hard and abruptly. Started it back up, got another bale of hay, dumped it in the feeder, went back to the barn and worked it for a few more minutes with no problems. Could it be something going bad in the hydraulic pump? This is the first time I have had this happen but it is concerning since it happened twice within in a couple minutes. Anyone have any idea of what I might check? Thanks
Does it act like it's running out of fuel when this happens?
No, it acts like its under a heavy load.
Check/clean the connections on the flywheel speed sensor. Maybe clean the magnet and check the gap.
As in traveling? You may want to check your steer pump levers at the pumps themselves. I have had the keys drop out of the swash plate shafts if the lever comes loose.
No codes lights or sirens ??? Like vetech said check levers first. I would check the " mechanical" side first. Before getting into the electrical.
Loose pump shaft pintle levers will typically case the machine to not find neutral when the sticks are at rest, and will make them drive all kinds of wonky yet have no effect on loader functions. I need more info on what the machine is doing before I can wager a guess.