Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 issues

Tony Miller · 2019-01-12 00:02

my case 1840 wouldn't start. finally tracked down a bad relay and fuel solenoid. now as soon as you start it up it goes in reverse when its in neutral and the boom lifts and tilts forward but doesn't lower or tilt back sometimes it does very slowly. Any ideas? I read maybe a relief valve but don't know where that is located.

Replies12
  1. #1alrman2019-01-12 01:02

    Welcome to HEF @Tony Miller Was the cabin slid forward during the fuel solenoid replacement? If so, loosen the mounts again & be sure that it has been pushed ALL the way back to it's stops. It sounds like something is out of position for all those controls to be suddenly out of adjustment.

  2. #2Tony Miller2019-01-12 02:04

    the cab was not moved for any of the work as the boom couldnt be lifted.

  3. #3alrman2019-01-12 02:19

    OK then, My thoughts still remain the same re the cabin position, as that is about the only thing that is related to both the travel & operation controls. Check to see if the bolts are loose. Also use a small prybar at the front of the cabin & prise between the chassis & cab to see if it will go back a little.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2019-01-17 19:23

    Check your control linkages either one or both are sticking or bent.

  5. #5FastStar2025-07-22 16:50

    My 347706a3 relay 1840 cranks but does not start. When I removed and shake the time delay relay (for the fuel solenoid) something rattles inside, so I am assuming it is bad. The part number that I found for a new relay is 300855A1 the price of them is around $140 can anyone help me to find a generic one that is not so expensive? Thank you in advance

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2025-07-22 17:03

    Take it to a Napa store and they should be able to match one up

  7. #7FastStar2025-07-22 17:08

    Thank you, unfortunately all the writings are faded out on my old one

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2025-07-22 17:11

    Most of those are standard 40amp relay

  9. #9FastStar2025-07-22 17:23

    I wonder why it's called "time delay" relay. I am hoping it's just a standard one that I could purchase at a auto parts store

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2025-07-22 20:17

    Tell the parts store that it is a time delay I think it's for when you shut off the machine there isn't a surge back through the system.

  11. #11Coaldust2025-07-22 20:42

    That case number updates a couple times, then cross references to a Hella 5HE-931-637-05​ Plenty of them on EBay, Amazon, blah blah in the $40-60 dolla range.

  12. #12alrman2025-07-22 21:54

    Welcome to HEF @FastStar You will need to check power supply to the fuel shut off solenoid. There should be three wires - ignition, pull - active while cranking ground It's possible the solenoid could be faulty as well.