Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 90xt rattle

rickdavis · 2019-01-11 15:54

I have a Case 90xt that has a rattling noise coming from the left side. You can only hear it from inside the cab. And only at slower speeds. Goes away when you speed up. Drive motor or chains? Also it likes to creep when in neutral. Can I just adjust the linkages?

Replies4
  1. #162oliver2019-01-12 18:02

    Have you checked the drive chain tension? Just have to remove the side cover, don't remember the spec off hand but they gotta be fairly tight. Is this something that just started, or is it a new to you machine?

  2. #2alrman2019-01-12 18:39

    If the chains are OK - be sure the axle bearings have no movement. Then that only leaves the drive motor.......

  3. #3rickdavis2019-01-12 23:45

    It’s a new to me machine. I’ll check the chains and bearings on my next day off. Thanks

  4. #4rickdavis2019-01-13 11:09

    Looked it over today. Besides the fluid being milky and needing changed in the chain cases the chains and sprockets both looked good. Wheel bearings had no noticeable movement in them. It appears the right side drive motor has been replaced at some time but not the left. Left side has some creep where the right doesn’t seem to but they both travel about the same speed. When I bring the rpms up the rattle seems to go away. As far as I can tell it’s coming from the left side. But if I hold the left stick so it won’t creep and move the right to pivot I still get the rattle noise. Hard to tell being in the cab with the lap bar down not being able to get close to the noise. I’m assuming I have a drive motor going out.