Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 Parking Brake Replacement, New Member, New Question

32feet ยท 2015-03-03 21:43

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and a proud new owner of a 2000 Case 1840. I am in middle of a proactive parking brake cable replacement on this machine and have run into a problem with a stuck spacer on one of these assemblies. Everything I've read and everyone I talk to says that once you remove the clips the spacer, spring, and pin should come right out... well mine didn't. The one I did get out took a couple hours of yanking on what was left of the cable to get the assembly out. The spacer that is still stuck has run out of cable from all my yanking and my knuckles are now bandaged and my kids are scared from my swearing. Any tricks to working these spacers out? Here are a couple pictures to help describe my dilemma. One of them shows the whole assembly out. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2015-03-03 23:31

    Welcome to HEF 32feet! That looks like you're having the time of your life! I have a small slide hammer for that type of problem. Use a bolt or threaded bar - as long as the "work environment" will allow - you will need to fabricate a hook that will get inside the spacer & engage the other side. I usually make this out of another bolt (hi tensile gr8), using a grinder with a thin cut off wheel make a cut through the bolt, right next to the head - not more than half way, then remove some of the shank with a long taper cut. If you trim the head of the bolt - a short back & sides - you will get more clearance. Weld a couple of nuts together to join the two bolts together. Use some hollow bar as a hammer - I actually use an old piston gudgeon pin. Most Important - Have fun! You will laugh at your story next week when the cuts in your hands heal a little....

  2. #232feet2015-03-04 00:05

    Great stuff alrman thanks, I'll give this a shot. I'm pretty sure I'm understanding your instructions but you don't happen to have pictures of this fabricated hook to help me out do you? Thanks again, happy to be a part of this forum. Hopefully I can be helping people out down the road.

  3. #3alrman2015-03-04 00:37

    Here ya go. This is a 1/2" bolt - with a well worn hook Hope this helps :drinkup

  4. #432feet2015-03-04 00:54

    Perfect, thanks again! I'll let you know how this goes.

  5. #5Case1840BC2018-08-06 05:34

    Nice tool Arlman. Having exactly the same problem right now and unfortunately the actual brake pin must stuck also because it does not protrude out on the sprocket side while the steel cable is disconnected. The spring between the stuck spacer and the pin is pushing against the washer behind the spacer so hard that it is impossible to wedge in between even the the sharpest right angle bent dentist inspection tool. May have try to cut a thread into the spacer and pull it out, then the spring but how to pull out the pin jammed inside I am still not sure. Appreciate any ideas. Regards

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2018-08-09 19:30

    Rock your machine the pin probably stuck in sprocket.

  7. #7kshansen2018-08-10 13:27

    Any news on this brake problem? Years ago we had one where someone who should never have been allowed to run one did not have a clue on how the brake worked and manged to tear the tube the brake pin works in right out of the right side chain box! This was on an older machine where the parking brake was not interlocked with the controls, pre-safety bar machine. That took a little creative work and a great welder to repair to get the tube lined up nice and straight and no leaks.