Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 questions – chain oil plug and fuel filter locations

qlizard ยท 2015-01-31 09:37

Hello, I am brand new to skid steers and really any heavy equipment. We are in the Texas hill country and building a house and clearing our land. It's basically infested with mountain cedar (juniper). I saw a Case 1840 on craigslist from the local Asco dealer. I've been watching for skidsteers awhile and haven't seen anything close to what I could afford. They say it is a 2000 with 2500 hours. Anyway, went and drove it, with some advice did what I could to test it, and bought it. No leaks, no smoke, a little visually rough but not bad at all. So far it is running great and I'm yanking out or pushing over cedar no problem. Unfortunately I noticed the hour meter is stuck so who knows how many hours really are on it. It had no owner's manual so I bought one on ebay. I don't know what year its for, but it seems some things are not where indicated. For example the chain oil plugs to check the oil level are shown between the tires toward the bottom. Mine has no such plug. And I cannot find the fuel filters. The owner's manual just shows a picture of them and instructions to service but doesn't indicate where actually they are. I can't see them anywhere. The manual doesn't indicate you have to remove the ROPS to get to them, but maybe? I have tried many hours to find better documentation or videos of my particular unit to find these two things but am coming up short. Anybody with one of these have any thoughts? thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1sheepfoot2015-01-31 15:25

    Yes there is a plug between the wheels but also at the rear on some on each side. The rt rear has a plug for the hyd drain and a plug for the rt hand chain case. The lt hand side at the rear has a plug for the fuel tank and a plug for the chain case on that side. The fuel filters on the first machine had two filters close to the bell housing rt hand side above the lift pump, area between the head and block. One small filter and a larger filter. The later had only one filter with the later emission engine. I am thinking you may have to slide the cab to get to them but I seem to remember changing them before with out and it was a pain.

  2. #2qlizard2015-01-31 15:54

    Thank you so much, I will go check that out. Unfortunately raining today so not much work getting done. Appreciate the guidance.

  3. #3apetad2015-02-04 18:42

    Do you have 4 plastic covers (two front, two rear) on top of the chaincase? The front ones can be easily seen while sitting in the seat. This indicates the second production version which is a good thing. The older one had no chaincase access without removing the axles. 1840 Has a Case/Cummins 4-390 diesel, Fuel filter just forward of the injection pump, some had two, newer has just one.