I've never worked on Case equipment, only Cat so I figured I would ask. A friend has an 1840 that he called me to come out and put new battery cable ends and diagnose a why it was slow cranking. He had a guy he called to service and work on it yesterday that couldn't do that but I noticed both rear wheels had quite a bit of negative camber. The guy said it was fine but since he couldn't fix a simple issue I have my doubts but didn't have time to look into it today. I'm assuming bearings are out but wanted to ask since that guy said it was normal.
No, it's not normal. Wheels should be straight up and down. Best case is a bad bearing. Worst case is some thing worse.
Thanks, that's what I thought but I've never been around any Case equipment. I will go out next chance I get and pull it apart.
Either hub / axle bearings (common, as suggested above), or bent frame/ chassis sides (uncommon, but, I've seen it).
It would be very unlikely that both rear axle bearings have failed at the same time - but certainly check them. I have seen more than a few of early model 1840's split open the chassis - they crack under the hub mountings & there may possibly be some radial cracks from the hub mounting stud holes also ...... but once again, for both to fail at the same time is unusual. ( This would also mean there is no oil in the chain cases! ) Whatever the fault, perhaps, there is something being done in the operation of the machine that is causing this?
The only reason it wouldn't surprise me is he bought the machine a few months ago. From the time I spent looking it over yesterday, I would say it wasn't very well taken care of. The oil they drained out of them had more water than oil. They had the cover off inside the cab and the park pin system is broke and you can see where it's been hitting on the sprocket pretty bad. It needs quite a bit of work including gouging out some cracks on the machine and welding them up. He doesn't use it much so I don't know how much money he will want to stick into it.
Not to judge someone I don't know but...... I think the main problem lies between someone's ears! Thinking there is a bit of an open area in there.