Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 Serial Number to Year manufactured

Cajun1986 · 2013-12-27 18:17

Just bought a Case 1840 with a PIN JAF0100939. It was sold as a 2001 model. I suspect it is older. I can I find out what year this serial numbered skid steer was manufactured?

Replies21
  1. #1Goose2013-12-27 19:50

    That serial number is coming up as a 1993. Just a little older than you thought.

  2. #2Cajun19862013-12-29 17:22

    That's what I thought. Thanks for the input.

  3. #3Nelsonequip2013-12-29 20:50

    Wow....I think that's called false advertising....

  4. #4Cajun19862014-01-07 09:28

    Probably safe to say it doesn't really have 2700 hours. Hour meter missing. Hope the fact that it starts and runs well is a good sign.

  5. #5Tracy L Newgard2022-07-18 17:57

    I just got a Case 1840 serial number JAF0154573 and I don’t know how to determine what year it is. Can someone help me?

  6. #6Duane Sprague2024-01-30 11:14

    Does anyone know what year a Case 1840 ser # JAF 0153057 is. it has the brown cab. Thanks.

  7. #7KSSS2024-01-30 13:22

    Brown cab means it's a 94 or older. It also will have a two piece lab bar. 1995 and newer were dk grey cab and the one piece lap bar.

  8. #8Duane Sprague2024-01-30 18:10

    I have the brown cab but the 1 piece lap bar so who knows??

  9. #9bad Tom2024-01-31 09:29

    Duane, my book listed it as a early 1995.

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-01-31 22:55

    The 2 piece lap bars are a joke. Just put on to say there was a restraint. I'm sure glad I had a full lap bar when I tipped forward on a dump truck in my skid steer. Not a Case but I drove an 1845 with the 2 piece lap bar. They wouldn't hold you in very well.

  11. #11Kim Ambrose2024-07-28 05:15

    Hi, anyone know the exact yr of my 1840 serial no JAF 0362657 thanks.

  12. #12bad Tom2024-07-28 09:47

    According to my book, the last 1840's were built in 2001, but no listing of the beginning serial number. You have one of the last 1840's made.

  13. #13Kim Ambrose2024-08-26 12:25

    Thanks Tom

  14. #14late90's 1840 skidsteer2024-10-18 13:48

    The newer 90's with the grey cab the wiring from the instrument cluster goes down the back whilst the early 90's went down the front

  15. #15stefuel2024-10-18 18:32

    Mine is a late model gray cab and wiring down the rear. I was told I think, it is a 99 The number is JAF0223-117

  16. #16stefuel2024-10-19 21:15

    And why is mine the only one in this thread that has a dash in the serial number?

  17. #17late90's 1840 skidsteer2024-10-20 20:07

    You're not alone they all do

  18. #18mgodden2024-11-25 12:05

    I just purchased an 1840 this past weekend. The serial number plate is worn completely smooth. Purchased from an implement dealer who picked it up at an estate sale. Previous owner will NOT be able to provide any information. All I know is it is a Cummins diesel. Is there any alternative to figuring out the serial number - for general knowledge and ordering replacement parts when needed?

  19. #19alrman2024-11-25 19:45

    Welcome to HEF @mgodden There should be a serial number stamped into the chassis, on top of the chain cases, above one of the axles. - I'm not certain of which axle (due to different model machines I work on) ...... Usually not really visible unless the cabin is slid forward & everything is clean.

  20. #20Kecamml2025-09-30 12:56

    No seat belt

  21. #21Welder Dave2025-09-30 22:43

    Probably had a seat belt but I'd guess 95%+ of operators don't wear a seat belt on flat ground. I've tipped over loading dump trucks and glad I had a good full width seat bar. I briefly ran an 1845 with the two flip down bars and they wouldn't hold a person back. I think they were just installed to satisfy a safety code.