Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 Skid steer

jsmith6752 · 2025-12-21 14:35

Diesel engine. Sometimes starter will not engage. I can hear a clicking noise when attempting to start. If was a car I would replace the Bendix. Does it just some times. My question is there a solenoid between the starter and switch? thanks

Replies20
  1. #1Ed ke6bnl2025-12-21 16:15

    I understand that people do add a relay to the starter switch on the Bendix and it helps them a lot

  2. #2fyrwood guy2025-12-21 16:44

    there are reply's for the problem your posting about on the 1845 case. i have one and am still chasing the fix!

  3. #3thendrix2025-12-21 17:49

    My 1845C had this issue. Where I'm at we don't really need the ether assist so I took it loose and made it a start button. This bypassed the start relay and fixed the problem. Mainly it's a power wire from the switch to the button and a wire from the other side of the button to the start solenoid

  4. #4jsmith67522025-12-21 21:10

    good to know thanks

  5. #5stefuel2025-12-22 10:12

    I had the exact same problem with my 1840. It was intermittent. I could hear the starter solenoid click but the starter would not spin. Apparently a common issue with 1840/1845. After doing a internet search, I decided to try the additional relay and it's worked perfectly since. The theory is that the small wire to the S terminal doesn't provide enough power to fully pull in the solenoid.

  6. #6jsmith67522025-12-22 10:49

    thanks so much

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-12-22 20:58

    Solenoid contacts could be burnt. Common problem with Nippondenso starters but can also happen on other makes of starters. Adding a relay helps a lot but good to make sure copper contacts are clean. Can sand them if they are black.

  8. #8jsmith67522025-12-23 08:50

    how difficult is it to remove the solenoid?

  9. #9HarleyHappy2025-12-23 08:55

    Not very. 2 bolts to remove the starter and cables. 2 bolts for the solenoid. Very easy to get rebuild kits, even on Amazon. I generally replace the plunger, unless the old one isn’t too pitted. Replace the copper contacts, hopefully the bushings aren’t too broken down from heat.

  10. #10jsmith67522026-01-13 21:08

    I am thinking of adding a remote solenoid for the starter. I have done some searching but did not find a wiring diagram. Would it be better to check the starter solenoid first?

  11. #11Welder Dave2026-01-14 01:02

    I got a solenoid with no directions but it's pretty simple to figure out. There are some video's that show how to wire them too.

  12. #12jsmith67522026-01-14 08:35

    thanks

  13. #13kenworth2026-01-14 09:23

    Did the exact same thing to my 1845C and it has worked perfectly for years. There was a how to do this Mod on this forum that I followed and it worked perfect.

  14. #14stefuel2026-01-14 18:51

    I went through all the effort of removing the starter through the rear. Not as easy with only room for one hand by yourself. I took the starter apart only to find out it was good as new inside. Bench tested it to be fine. Put it back in and a little click but no spinnie. Grabbed a little jumper wire and crossed the B+ terminal to the S and it cranked right over. I put the external relay on and used what was the S wire to excite the external relay and no problems since.

  15. #15jsmith67522026-01-15 10:44

    where is the b terminal? I guess the S is the small wire going to the starter? thanks

  16. #16stefuel2026-01-15 10:53

    The B+ terminal is the fat 12 volt+ wire from the battery. If you jump from that directly to the small S wire, the starter should turn

  17. #17jsmith67522026-01-15 12:56

    got it thanks

  18. #18jsmith67522026-01-15 12:59

    what brand solenoid? They look like the ones Fords use.

  19. #19stefuel2026-01-15 17:47

    Yes. The old Ford type. Have you confirmed operation by jumping?

  20. #20jsmith67522026-01-15 18:39

    not yet the darn thing is working for the moment