Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 Skid Steer Alternator Problem

custmblt ยท 2015-04-01 00:55

Hi guys my OEM alternator on my Case 1840 Skid Steer has a bad regulator so I decided to buy a after market Rareelectrical item 1216D4 alternator. New alternator is lightly different and did not com with a wiring diagram so I have no idea what wire goes where. I have two wires from the original one from the battery(the Large One) and a smaller one that likely comes from the ignition somewhere. the picture below is the new one can any one help me by telling what wire goes where by looking at the picture. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1john hofer2015-04-01 09:17

    big wire to big bolt small wire to small bolt

  2. #2custmblt2015-04-01 12:22

    Thank you for the reply, I have attached a picture showing what the original wiring configuration looked liked with the OEM alternator when it was connect to the machine. I will try using the two post as suggested and post my results tonight when I get home.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-04-01 13:23

    Picture looks odd in that what appears to be the 4 thru bolts holding the alternator together do not have nuts on them.

  4. #4custmblt2015-04-01 15:28

    Agreed that what I thought as well but when I received it I notice that the housing itself is threaded for the through bolts. I tried connecting the new alternator the same way had the original(Shown In Red Lines) and no dice didn't work. When I get off work I will follow john-hofer suggestion and see if that works. I have attached a picture of the OEM part that was removed when looking at the picture the large wire when to the B+ terminal and the small one was connected to the D+ terminal. I know that is correct because the D+ terminal is shaped for only one style of connection. So in short the new one is similar but different enough for me to not know where everything goes. The manufacture has been zero help but insist its the correct alternator. Thank you for your reply and I will update when I am done.

  5. #5sims2015-04-01 17:34

    Make sure the small (exciter) wire has 12v when the key is on. Sometimes they break internally from vibration. Good luck. SimS

  6. #6john hofer2015-04-01 20:33

    you also have to have +12 volt at the terminal you marked that the old one did not have Take a wire and jump from the big bolt to the bolt that you said the old alternator did not have. The small wire should have ONLY +12 volt when key is on.

  7. #7custmblt2015-04-01 23:02

    ok I checked the exciter wire and has 12 volts when ignition is on and found the ground terminal on the cable running to the negative side of the battery was loose. That said I replace the loosed cable end and followed john-hofer instructions and all is right now!. I am getting 14.2 volts running with lights on. Will let it sit overnight and check the battery to make sure the alternator isn't draining the battery. I will post again if I get battery drain otherwise thank you all for the great ideas.