Every once in a while when I try to start it I get a click from the starter I think but no spin. I checked the external connections on the starter and they seem fine. Almost like the solenoid is not sending power to the motor. I pulled the starter out and apart to examine it, including the plunger in the solenoid and all was perfect. In fact, I think the starter was replaced shortly before I bought it. Is there another solenoid in the system someplace that might be the source of the click I hear? Starter bench tested fine.
what you may want to do is add a relay that will send full power to the solenoid good chance there is low load voltage at the solenoid.
There is an old thread on the Forum about your problem and how to fix it if you can find it, I think WilleB might have been the poster. I followed the advice and directions that was given in that thread my 1845C that had the same problem as yours and it has worked perfectly for years. As Ed ke6bnl said the solution is to add a relay and that is what the old thread showed how to do
As a test you may want take a heave gage wire from battery plus to solenoid plus with ignition on, That is what the relay will be doing.
I wired in a solenoid as prescribed and all seems well thanks.
good to hear