Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845 lift pump?

P Backus ยท 2007-06-18 16:15

I just picked up and older 1845 with the D188 motor (NOT an 1845C), and I'm liking it pretty well. I'm no stranger to Case skids, as I have operated many of them, new and old, big and small. I also have an 1830. Anyhow, when there is no load on it (like at a dealer's lot ) the loader lift arms, and bucket rollback (all loader functions) work well. I don't expect them to be as fast and snappy as a newer 1845C. However, when I put a load on it (normally around 1600 lbs) the loader raises really slowly and you need a good bit of throttle or it won't raise at all. Bucket rollback is wimpy too. So, I'm guessing that the constant displacement pump is weak/worn out. How do I test this before I spend the dough on it, or is there a possible different problem? Should I have the dealer test for pressure and/or flow? Also if I do end up getting a different pump, can I upgrade easily to a faster, higher flow pump easily, or is it all different requiring different couplers and plumbing? Costs? If I'm gonna spend the bucks, it would be nice if it behaved like an 1845C when I'm done! Thanks, Paul

Replies15
  1. #1clutch12007-07-11 21:01

    when you do put a load in it does it go up and stop or just real slow? more than likely its the hyd.pump you can have a dealer check flow and psi but sounds like you got a weak one. dont think there is an upgrade on the pumps that old of a machine you will need a coupler too. when you take it off you'll probably be able to spin the shaft fairly easy.

  2. #2Countryboy2007-07-11 21:34

    Welcome to HEF clutch1! :drinkup

  3. #3P Backus2007-07-11 22:59

    With a load, it just goes up slowly. It does not "stutter". I haven't taken it apart yet as I wanted to be fairly sure that was the problem and besides, I have plenty of other things demanding my attention! I did find a new Cessna pump from a Hydraulics shop for $405+ shipping. That's about 1/2 the price of the dealer. Once I make sure that the ports are in the right place I think I will get it on order. Thanks clutch 1 ! (if there are 2 of you, does that make a double clutch? ) Paul

  4. #4DigDug2007-07-12 05:38

    Backus, I think the lift capacity of a 1845 is about 1700lbs. Could it be that your loads of 1600 pounds are a little heavy for the machine? Does it lift smaller loads fine? Good luck

  5. #5P Backus2007-07-12 07:46

    I suppose that it is possible. Even at 800 lbs it is a little slower than with no load at all. That brings up an interesting point- how do they rate skid loader operating capacity? I thought that it was rated at 1/2 of the tipping load at or near the bucket pins. So if it's rated for 1700, it should be strong enough to lift 3400 until it tips? I have an 1830 skid as well, and it will lift at about the same speed until it is on it's face. It's rated for 1200 I think and I know it will lift more than that if you can keep it from tipping. Hmmm. Paul

  6. #6DigDug2007-07-12 19:37

    Paul , i dont know about tipping load versus what it can lift.. I just know my old 1845 had about a 1700lb operating weight. Good luck. doug

  7. #7clutch12007-07-12 21:18

    thanks.....

  8. #8clutch12007-07-12 21:20

    most of the case skid steers will pick up more than they can carry. most of the new ones even more, until they split the cyl. or bend the rods.

  9. #9digger242j2007-07-12 21:34

    I can vouch for that. If you have forks on it, you need to be particularly careful when unloading things from a truck bed. You can lift something off the bed that's past the capacity of the machine, and when you lower it just a hair, the center of gravity will change suddenly . The whole machine tips forward. You end up looking foolish, or worse. Don't ask me how I know.

  10. #10P Backus2007-08-24 00:03

    Update: I did finally end up putting on the new $405 + shipping pump today, and that made a whole new skid out of it. Also replaced the hyd fluid and filters. Just need to do the planetary gear reducers on the drive motors, and I'll be all set with that skid. It is an Eaton pump that replaced the Cessna that was in it, and I was pleasantly surprised that everything fit. I figured that something would not fit, and I'd have to make/buy adapters or try to bend 3/4" steel tubing to make it line up, but it all worked. Even the fittings all screwed right in, and each one was a different size. the closest thing to a problem was that on one side of the pump, the counterbore wasn't deep enough to get the O-rings on the fittings down in and secured. It works fine and doesn't leak, but it leaves you with the feeling that you'd like to tighten it more, but you know that would just squish the O-ring. It's a good thing I got it done as my 1830 took a dump today. It's been starting hard for a while now, and today it simply did not want to start after it had been run for a little while. I know that it's had a leaky intake valve for a long time now, so I suspect that it just needs a valve job and a carb rebuild- at least I hope that's all it needs. I've been through the ignition system several times now. The 1830 motor is an itsy-bitsy (67 cid) Continental (made by Renault, France) 4 cyl POS. The distributor is also positively tiny. Does anyone know of a way to upgrade that to an electronic ignition? How do you get the proper advance curves? The existing distributor is small enough that even the condensor is on the outside of it. Paul

  11. #11Serv2007-08-24 23:26

    Great story. :drinkup is the constant displacement pump different from the big pump that power the hyd motors to turn the wheels? I ask you because one the hydraulic guys that I use for pump and cylinder rebuilding said the big pump on my skidsteer costs as much as 2500.00 to rebuild. I just thought "Thanks, one more thing to worry about on my 8 year old skidsteer" Mine is a 1999 1845C with around 5000 hours on it. My first thought on your problem when I read your first post was a bad hyd pump. I just went through this at my shop with another machine and even thought my gear pump looked good when I took it apart, it was still bad. A pump rebuild brought it back to life. This is after I rebuilt the cyl, and changed a spool valve and it had remained low on crushing power. I'm pretty sure If I idle down my skidsteer and put it under a load against something that's too much, the engine will shut down before running out of lifting/pushing power. This has been the case since mine was brand new. Glad to hear you got it fixed so cheap. This is a perfect example of enjoying a good deal because you were pretty good at troubleshooting it.

  12. #12P Backus2007-08-25 00:12

    Yes, the constant dispacement pump is the smallest and least expensive of the skid steer pumps. It is a simple (relatively) gear pump. If you'd like something to worry about, the skid also has two other variable displacement pumps- one for driving each side. They have pistons and a swash plate. I'm not sure- maybe they consider that one pump. Then there is a hydraulic motor for each side as well, also with pistons and a swash plate- all of which will cost more than $400 each, I believe. So, the moral of the story is, keep your fluid and filters changed and don't worry a bit about it. Way too many things can go wrong on everything, including ourselves. Sorry to get philosophical about it, but I'm heading to a surgery next week. Not looking forward to that one. I hear ya though. It scares a person if you know too much ahead of time. Of course, on the other hand, now that your 1845C (with that nice Cummins 3.9) has 5000 hours on it, you should just send it to me to get rid of it! Shoot, I'll even come and pick it up!!! Bummer that you ended up changing all those other components before you found the problem. I've been there and done that too. Usually I'm pretty good at diagnostics. Personality is where I fall short. ointhead Paul

  13. #13dngrdave20002009-01-19 17:22

    I frequently get the bucket under something too heavy and "lift the back tires off the ground" with my 1845.

  14. #14willie592009-01-19 21:16
  15. #15jeffreyt20182019-09-09 12:50

    P Backus I know this was back in 2007 but where did you buy your eaton pump? Is it still working fine ? Thank you