Cat had this beasty out for display at our Expo. The most impressive thing was the cab which is all welded or seamless rather than the bolted together bits an pieces of the B series. The operator view/vision looks improved for a vertical lift machine. I'm not convinced this thing has enough ponies under the hood though.:beatsme
Looks sharp but it still looks like it has the ASV undercarriage. Here is the new wheeled Cat. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=191773
I saw the wheeled version at Waste Expo in Atlanta a month or so ago. I like the room you have in the engine compartment compared to other machines.
The 297C has 90 ponies, I wish it had right around 95 or maybe 100 though. When we had a 277B with 78 horses it seemed to put the power down pretty darn well. We have a 246B on rent right now that is supposed to have the same engine with 78 horses as the 277B. The 246 seems to tame compared to the 277 it's not even funny, it doesn't even sound tough compared to the 277.
Due to EPA restrictions on engines over 100 hp you will not likely see a 100 hp engine in a skid steer size machine again. Which is why I am sure that Gehl backed down their 7800 machine.
Give it a whirl, and then see if you still think that 90 isn't enough...
Ponies You can never have enough HP just ask any Cowboy that operates equipment.:falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh Untill something gives way then it's still not to much HP it's the rest of the machine is just ............. you fill in the blank. Cat has had a good handle on HP as to under power or over build the machine and I think it has stood the test of time. :drinkup
Hey wrenchbender...have you ever operated a 257B in sand or mud?... They were a long way from getting it right I can tell you. The 277 and 287 were fine but the 257 was/is a dog.
No I can't say as I have. I don't even remember working on one........ maybe cause it didn't have enough power to break anything lol
90HP is plenty, atleast for around here. I got by with a 60hp for a while.
Your probably right...but remember thats a 5 tonne+ machine. I'm looking forward to testing one soon.
That is the under statement of the year....mine is a POS...on the flip side I demoed a new 272C tire machine last week...very nice but I know now I couldn't or wouldn't want to do without a track machine again...I'm trying the 297C next week,,
Welcome to HEF QPS! :drinkup
I can remember buying a my first 1840 in the early 90's with 50 hp and thinking I had the world by the short hairs. That was like double my old Bobcat. Now if it does not have 80 plus horses I wont even consider buying it (no matter what color). Tim, Your going to earn yourself a CAT Christmas card at the rate your going. :notworthy
G,day Tim, Glad you finally made it across here. Let us know how the demo goes. Gosh...did you buy shares I thought I was bad I take it the load sensors on the 257B where not the only thing letting the side down.
nice
I have to agree here. The 247B responds better than the 257B. She is a bit burdensome sometimes.