Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845 right side won’t move

Jman5002 · 2024-01-08 00:18

I recently bought a case 1845 for moving heavy stuff around the property and light snow/earth work. I moved it on a Tuesday it ran great. Then on Saturday the right side won’t move. It screams and bogs down the engine won’t move right side tires, all other controls work. My thought it was 50f on Tuesday it was 25f on Saturday. If there was a bad seal like a chain case could water by in there and freeze. If I’m wroung what else should I check. Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies31
  1. #1stefuel2024-01-08 07:08

    Being full of water and freezing is a possibility. When I bought mine, the left side was full of water and the right side was fine. Also the chance the parking brake cable snapped or is stuck. They are spring loaded to the lock position.

  2. #21693TA2024-01-08 07:30

    My parking pins stick occasionally. I grease the area with every service but gently rocking the tractor fore and aft releases mine every time. No water in my chain cases at all since I've owned the tractor, (20+ years).

  3. #3Vetech632024-01-08 07:55

    You may have a broken chain.

  4. #4thendrix2024-01-08 18:24

    I would look at stuck pins also. The only reason I don't think a broken chain is the engine load. With a broken chain the main sprocket would still turn freely I believe.

  5. #5Vetech632024-01-08 18:45

    It has 2 chains per side. 1 broken chain can wad up against the sprocket and lock the whole side up.

  6. #6kshansen2024-01-08 20:00

    Well actually three chains at least on all the 1845's we had at the quarry. One to the front wheel, one to the rear wheel and one to the drive motor. I would probably start by removing convers and inspect all the chains. If they are good make sure the park(brake) pin was retracting. Often one has to nudge control lever a little in each direction to relive pressure on the pin for it to retract. Hope someone does not try forcing it to move if pins are what is holding it. We had someone who did manage to get one to move with pins locked into the hole in gear. That was a "fun" one to fix, "not!" but did manage to get it working with a little work!

  7. #7thendrix2024-01-08 21:09

    Didn't happen in my situation but ok

  8. #8Vetech632024-01-09 07:54

    You are correct Ken. I was thinking Bobcat in my younger days.

  9. #9Vetech632024-01-09 12:15

    Have you physically checked?

  10. #10thendrix2024-01-09 14:50

    Yeah I fixed the chain

  11. #11kshansen2024-01-09 16:33

    Hope " Jman5002 " finds his way back here would like to know what he found.

  12. #12Vetech632024-01-09 17:03

    LOL.....I lost the op. I thought drix had the machine.

  13. #13thendrix2024-01-09 17:55

    I was curious why you asked if I looked LOL. Hope there was no offense taken. I didn't mean any if there was

  14. #14Vetech632024-01-09 18:53

    No.problem my friend

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-01-10 01:39

    It seems pretty common lately that someone starts a thread for help with a problem and then disappears but someone else responds with the same problem.

  16. #161693TA2024-01-10 07:56

    Plenty of azzholes all over the planet only around when they need something.

  17. #17Vetech632024-01-10 07:57

    Sounds like some members of my family.

  18. #181693TA2024-01-10 07:59

    I used to have leeches in my family too. Haven't seen a one of them in over 24 years this month since grandma passed.

  19. #19Jman50022024-01-12 18:11

    Wow this is a great forum I thought I would have to wait weeks for a response. Thankyou all for your advice and help. Update: it warmed up above freezing and it started moving but now I notice that the right side is slower (it probably was before) I was told the squealing sound is from the pump being turned down to low but that doesn’t seem right to me. So now I’m gonna drain the chain case ( I assume there’s oil and a lot of water in there) then I’m gonna change the fluid And replace the gasket. I’ll update again after that. Thankyou again for all your help.

  20. #20Vetech632024-01-12 18:59

    The squeal can be several things. Does the other side sound similar when doing the same thing? Its unlikely anything has been turned down. It could be from a faulty relief valve in that sides high pressure loop or possibly something stuck in it or wedged partially open. That's where I would start first

  21. #211693TA2024-01-12 20:44

    Drain plugs are at the rear of the sumps. Get the front tires on blocks and pull the plugs allowing them to drain well.

  22. #22Jman50022025-11-02 00:32

    Update I finally go around to draining and changing the chain case’s I pulled about 9 gallons of mostly water out and thankfully the gears and chains actually weren’t very rusty I was told this is a common problem anyone know how to stop it from happening again other then putting a tarp over it feel like I can just caulk the covers closed but that would be a pain to get them back off one day.

  23. #23Welder Dave2025-11-02 03:02

    There's some older posts dealing with water in the chain cases. I wonder if you could use foam weatherstripping?

  24. #24Jman50022025-11-02 03:03

    Like the stuff for doorways?

  25. #25kshansen2025-11-02 08:28

    One thing to check is the covers on top or the chain cases! Some times they are cracked if the plastic ones or warped if the steel ones.

  26. #26Vetech632025-11-02 08:35

    It been almost 2 years. What have you been doing?

  27. #27HarleyHappy2025-11-02 10:51

    LMFAO, V settle down!

  28. #28kshansen2025-11-02 12:16

    Gee! some people are in a big rush to see things fixed!

  29. #29Jman50022025-11-02 15:32

    I been not using it In the winter lol. I snowmobile all winter so I don’t need to use it much

  30. #30Welder Dave2025-11-03 01:22

    I was thinking the self stick stuff but it depends how the covers fit.

  31. #31Vetech632025-11-03 08:28

    There has been a summer since your original post lol