Hi, I recently moved to a hobby farm which came with a diesel Case 1845 skid steer. It was working fine for a few times fhen i left it out in the rain/wearher for 2 weeks. Came home and the battery terminals were very corroded so used some sand paper on them snd it started up but made weird ticking sound from im guessing what is the alternator and ar the same time it actually melted the negative battery cable at the battery connection. It kept running so used it for a while and parked it. I replaced the negative battery line and then plugged in what I think are rbe glow plugs. Left it for a few hrs, came back to start it, nothing. Looked under the seat and the negative was melted as well as the positive line. …replaced the battery cables and then went to start it and it first made a high whine but wouldnt crank over. I let go of the starter button snd tried again but now it just makes a tick/click sound once but wont start. Had a friend try tapping the starter with a hammer while holding the start botton -still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas? Do i need a new starter? Thanks
I did replace both cables, canadiantire tested the batteries and said its fine. When i push in the chocke, turn key to on and push the start button it just makes a tick/light clunk sound. If i press the button repeatedly it will make this noise about 3-5 times then will stop making the noise no matter how much i push the start button. Any other ideas? Thanks.
As long as your cables are clean and tight at both ends, then check at the starter solenoid, for 12v at the small terminal when start switch is in crank position, if you have 12v on small terminal then likely starter needs replacing. Ya sorry I saw you replaced cables, but I already posted.
There's no choke on a diesel.
Another thought. Do you have a multi-meter and can you check battery voltage? Should be 12.2 ish to 13.2 ish. If you have voltage lower than 12 volts DC replace battery. If you have voltage higher than 12.2 ish remove battery terminals completely and clean battery terminals and battery clamps. Make sure they are CLEAN. Shiny clean. Reconnect everything and try it. Cause of melted battery terminals are DIRTY connections. Cause of clicking sound is starter solenoid trying to engage starter drive without sufficient current to hold starter drive into engine ring gear. Cause of whining noise is again probably low current flow through connections or cables. starter will spin but will not engage. Proper current cannot make it to the starter through a dirty connection. It can be one dirty terminal or both. If you replace battery make sure all connections are clean and tight. Replace battery clamps and cables as required. Good luck Note: A good battery theoretically at rest should read 12.6 volts DC. (6 cells each having 2.1 volts=12.6 Volts) A battery that is run down will read lower than 12.6
I wondered what that meant. Glow plugs probably.
The OP would have to clarify what he meant.
Quite frankly, the only way I know to melt battery cables is with a seized or shorted starter, on that machine.
Or hooking cables up backwards.
I wonder if the starter stuck on, and that was the ticking noise? when it started, was it just once and then it stayed running until you parked it? this is basic electrical diagnostics, I'd check voltage at the starter when you hit the key, then work from there. A friend that can help you in person, or youtube would help. A powerprobe is a great tool to make checking voltages slightly easier if that part is harder for you to grasp.