Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845b won’t start

Nick multhauf · 2022-08-09 18:29

I have a 1982 1845b case skid steer that is converted to lp. I was running the machine for 2 hours with no issue then I turned it off for 20 minutes and when I go to start it it just whines no cranking or clicking. seems like no spark? I replaced the ignition coil and my battery is good. Any ideas?

Replies14
  1. #1kshansen2022-08-09 19:26

    You say "just whines no cranking or clicking". By that are you saying it's not turning the engine over? From that description I would be thinking a problem with the starter not engaging the ring gear on flywheel. I know you need to post a set number of times to be allowed to upload a video but doing that would answer many questions before they are asked.

  2. #2Nick multhauf2022-08-09 20:12

    Yes I have a video to upload of the noise it makes. How many post do I have to post before putting a video up? It does seem like the starter isn’t engaging the flywheel from the noise it’s making. But I’m not sure. Anything I can do to get it to engage?

  3. #3Nick multhauf2022-08-09 20:21

    My battery is reading 12.2 v is that to low? I read it could be low amperage or starter solenoid?

  4. #4kshansen2022-08-10 09:06

    I'm not finding the number of posts needed before attaching a picture or video but seems like it is pretty low, guess one way to find out is try doing it! As for the starter not engaging I'm thinking the best thing to do might be remove it and try actuating it while laying on ground. Just beware that the starter will jump a bit from the torque when activated that's why I suggest laying it on the ground, don't want it to jump off bench and get damaged.

  5. #5Nige2022-08-10 11:21

    You can upload photos on HEF but not video. If you want to upload a video the best method is to first upload it to YouTube then link it to a post.

  6. #6Nick multhauf2022-08-10 11:37

    I’m not to familiar with upposring videos on YouTube i wil have to look into that after work. I do think it’s the starter not engaging where could I pick up a solenoid for the starter anywhere local? I’m in Michigan. Also I was going to get a new battery after work to try that. All the connections are tight and I cleaned them off.

  7. #7Nick multhauf2022-08-10 11:37

    Pulling the starter doesn’t look that easy so I’m trying to remedy it before I have to go to that step. Thanks

  8. #8Nick multhauf2022-08-10 16:11

    I put a new solenoid on today no change. I bought a new battery but I didn’t hook it up yet because my bots are reading 12.2 on my current battery and the new battery read 12.3? So I have not hooked that up. When I hit the plunger on the solenoid it’s the same noise as when I turn the key. It does seem like it’s not catching the fly wheel to start.

  9. #9kshansen2022-08-11 10:17

    Not to be too critical but, before spending money I would be putting more effort into knowing what the real problem is with the starting. Actually could be the starter is good but the ring gear has bad teeth or something else is wrong.

  10. #10Nick multhauf2022-08-11 11:07

    Everything I have read says it could be wiring, faulty solenoid, weak battery or something wrong with the starter. I guess I’m going to have to take the starter off. With the machine dead I don’t know how easy it will be.

  11. #11Nick multhauf2022-08-24 11:36

    I installed a new starter and it fired right up. That was what was wrong with it.

  12. #12hookedondiesel2022-08-30 12:44

    Just curious Nick, what did you pay for the starter?

  13. #13Nick multhauf2022-08-30 13:53

    I think $290 around there.

  14. #14kshansen2022-09-06 18:10

    Nick just a quick question. Do you have the owners manual for this 1845B? See I was doing some cleaning up out in the garage and stumbled on an almost like new 1845B owners manual. It only has the gasoline and diesel engine info but I'm guessing your propane one was a gasoline one to begin with then converted. If Nick doesn't have a need maybe someone else could make use of it.