Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1845c

orangepeanut ยท 2014-12-07 19:10

Got my 1845c back from the shop about a month ago. Had to replace the sprocket, cluster shaft and bearings on the right side. Ive used it lightly putting out hay and smoothing the driveway. Today I had to use it to dig up a water line just right under the surface of the ground. I parked it on an incline with the right side higher than the left. Got back on let the saftey bar down and went to move forward. The right side wouldnt move. I rocked it back and forward finally it made a loud pop and let loose. But now if I get on an incline with the right side higher than the left it makes a slight knocking sound on the right side. Any ideas?

Replies7
  1. #1john hofer2014-12-07 20:30

    did you replace the spacers?make sure the sprockets all line up.

  2. #2sheepfoot2014-12-07 20:43

    Need to pull the seat out, follow the cable down from the safety lever to the chain housing and see if it's hooked up or out of adjustment. With the levers down it pulls the park brake pin back against the spring that engages it when the handles are up, You should have a cable to the bell crank, spring and another cable that runs threw a pulley and into the brake pin boot area. There is snapring/ washer/ spring/ spacer/ nut/ brake pin. Could have made a burr on the pin or sprocket that is scrubbing some.

  3. #3orangepeanut2014-12-07 20:57

    Yes both spacers were replaced. It looks as if there is no tension at all on the cables. When I raise and lower the bar it does nothing.

  4. #4kshansen2014-12-08 05:27

    With bar up there will be no tension to let the pins lock into the gear.

  5. #5kshansen2014-12-08 19:14

    Be very careful "rocking it back and fourth" I have seen what happens when someone tries to force a machine to move when the brakes are not releasing. I don't like the sound of that "loud pop" loud pops can cost big money.

  6. #6orangepeanut2014-12-08 19:53

    It has done it before in the past before I had new sprocket, cluster shaft and bearings installed. I thought that would have fixed it. But I guess there is also another problem. The sound it makes now isnt as bad as when all those things went out and only happens when the right side is higher than the left on a hill. It hasnt been run 3 hours since the sprocket replacement. The brake pins are the only thing I know of that hasnt been replaced.

  7. #7KSSS2014-12-08 21:24

    I have had 7 1840's from the mid 90's to the early 2000's. Without a doubt the pin brake system is the biggest issue of the 1800 series CASE skid steers. I found that there are somethings you can do to keep it working. The belly pan has got to be kept clean, especially if you live in an area where it gets cold enough to freeze. The springs need to be functionally strong enough to retract the pins. From an operator's standpoint, it is important to just get in the habit of lifting the lap bar and slightly rock the machine forward and back to allow pins to retract. If your parked on an incline (or decline), lift the lap bar and move up the incline (or decline) slightly, this should released the tension on the pins and allow them to retract assuming the springs and belly pan are clean and functional. If you are parked on some kind of angle be it up and down, and simply put the lap bar down and continue in the direction of the contour of the ground, you will rip the pins in the holes. The tension of the pins in the holes when parked on an incline prevents the pins from retracting if you don't first release the tension by going up the incline or back up the decline. If you just get in the habit of doing this you can save yourself a lot of money and frustration having to fix these pin-brake issues.