Hello all. New to forum and first post. I just got a 1993 1845C that I traded my old 610 bobcat and some cash for, so I have about $6000.00 in it. Hour meter reads about 3300 and there is paint pen numbers above it 4400hr. So I assume the machine has close to 8000hr. The engine is dry and clean and runs perfect and is not near as grimy as the rest of the machine. Overall it looks pretty decent with about 40% tires. My biggest complaint is the left side has weak hyd drive pump and or motor. The belly pan is full of about 10" of grease and sludge. I used to be able to do most all of my work myself but have hurt my lower back and and its hard to hunch over and work on such things for very long, so may have to hire the repair out if I decide to fix it. So on to the big question of what would you guys do if in my position? Fix it or sell it and buy something else. I'm teetering on it would be about the same either way, spent 5000 dollars on repairs or or take my chances on a 8000 to 10000 dollar machine. I just need a home use machine that may get run 25hr a year. Thanks
Assuming that you can keep your investment at or just under 10K you would still be OK. That assumes everything else is in good shape. The nice thing about these machines is any mechanic can turn a wrench on one and with the 1845 being the most prolific skid steer model in history, there are no shortage of used and reman parts. There is no garantee that the next 8-10K machine would not need work as well.
Thanks it is a tough choice. I figure if I have it fixed I know what I have in the way of the drive system discounting the chain cases. I gave 1300 bucks for the old Bobcat ten years ago and put 500 in parts in it and got those ten years of use out it. I will see the guy I traded it for Monday and ask if he misses the Case and wants it back. Think I would like to stay with a 1845c as they where very popular around here and used a good Cummins engine.
First thing to do is spend some time with a pressure washer on it. I've seen many times guys will bring in dirty equipment to be repaired and are charged the rate for the mechanic to clean it because he cant work on it dirty. Even if you decide to trade it will do better clean.
You are correct about the grime needing removed before work begins but a pressure washer wont touch this stuff in the belly. The plates will need removed and scraped out.
Its really important on the 1800 series machines to keep the belly clean as the pin lock brake system require free movement for the springs, cable and pulleys to work properly. There are plates that unbolt under the belly to make cleaning the belly pan easier.
I did clean around the brake pins and make sure they where retracting. I assume they are still there and not sheared off if that is possible. A service manual would sure be nice to have but they seem to be very expensive.
It is certainly possible to shear them off. Whenever you park on a bit of an incline or decline be sure to move the skid steer slightly in the opposite direction after pulling the down the lap bar. Sometimes those pins dont retract under pressure. Moving the skid steer slightly relieves that pressure and allows the pins to retract.
What are you basing this on? What is it doing/not doing? Could it just be an adjustment or bent rod? I think if I werre in your shoes, I'd invest a couple hundred bucks and have a good Case mechanic look it over and give you his assessment. If he has a short list of 'must haves' then you know what you are up against. If the list is long and pricey, then move it down the road. You can find good deals on 1845's if you keep your eyes open. $7500 will get you a pretty nice machine.
It will not spin the tires when put up against an inmovable object in the dirt like the right side will. The control levers are moving the imput cranks on the control valves an equal amount on both sides.
It sounds like the drive motors have internal leakage or the pump group has leakage or a combination of both. You need to have a case drain test ran on the motors and have the pumps pressure tested to see which one is week or i both are weak. Are both sides weak or just one side?
Just the left side is weak. Right side has plenty of power.
Hi I cant find where to open a new post please help. I have 1845c and was park for about 8 months and was working fine but now i try to use it and didn't want to start. I clean all connections and and the 2 relays yellow and black and fuses every thing is clean , but now the started running wen i try to move the bucket up and down it stops running and wont start again I left it alone for one day and started again but later quit and wont start has any one had the same problem and how you'll got it fix or what was wrong . thank you for any advice it will be appreciated. Raul AUSTIN TEXAS
Up on the top right above the green announcement it says post new thread.
got it thankyou
elp. I have 1845c and was park for about 8 months and was working fine but now i try to use it and didn't want to start. I clean all connections and and the 2 relays yellow and black and fuses every thing is clean , but now the started running wen i try to move the bucket up and down it stops running and wont start again I left it alone for one day and started again but later quit and wont start has any one had the same problem and how you'll got it fix or what was wrong . thank you for any advice it will be appreciated. Raul AUSTIN TEXAS
Hi the steer was running good again but started all over again it just stop running like if i turn off the key it has a electric pump . am thinking the pump could be going bad how much pressure needs for to be running.