I recently bought a 99 case 1845c with 2000 hours. Everything was was good with the exception of a few hoses. I put about 200 hours on it since I got it and was digging a hole with a stump bucket I pushed the bucket down and lifted front tires to dig. As I dig the tires lost traction and I started hearing a rattle or slight knock sound on the right side as the tires were spinning. I took it to the shop and had the chain case oil changed and chains adjusted. When I got it back everything was good, until I dug a tree up. I picked the tree up which I might add it was a pretty heave tree. As I started driving I started hearing a loud knocking sound and could feel it grabbing on the right side. Anyone got any ideas what it it?
Need to check the parking brake pins, there is a cable/linkage for each side and a pin that slides into the chain housing, one could be just hitting the hole in the sprocket making that noise. Then it's a good look at the chains and gear teeth, and axle bearing checks. I would check the park brake pins first to make sure they disengage with the safety arms down.
Thanks for the response. I had noticed that before I got the chains adjusted the parking brake didnt work. After the adjustment it only worked on the side thats making the noise. Right before the noise started I got on it, let the saftey arm down then pulled to pack up. The right side didnt want to move then it popped and started moving. About an hour of running then the noise started.
I'll second what sheepfoot says! If the parking brake pin is what is the problem sometime it might engage enough while traveling to do major damage the the chain box. We had one that the operator somehow managed to get the brake to engage while traveling, not a pretty sight! We had an excellent welder fabricator working for us back then an he managed to make it like new.
Dido parking brake pin cable is stretched
I took my inspection camera into the chain case. I found the brake pin but it looks like its clear. I lifted the front tires. Put the camera back in and rocked the tire back and forward. I can see the sprocket moving around on the shaft. Im guessing the bearing is completely gone.
Sounds like time to pull the guts out of that chain box and give it a good looking over. Not a terrible job if you have the cab slid forward and machine blocked up with wheels off. I'd love to trade you a job of a bad wheel bearing on a JCB 185 for that 1845C job!
Ill probably end up taking it to a shop. Ive never messed with the chain cases before. Really dont know where to start. Had a guy at work tell me if I pulled that cluster sprocket and shaft out that the chains and sprockets will fall down and be a pain. I dont know if theres and truth to what he says but I dont see how everything would fall.
I took it to the shop. Turns out the bearing, shaft, sprocket and spacers are bad. Going to run me about 1500.00 total to fix.
I'm guessing the guy who said it would be a pain just did not want to do the job! I'd have no problem with that one, just have to pull everything out of the chain box. Front and rear hubs and gears then the center cluster gear. may not be as much fun as a nice fall ride on the Harley but compaired to changing the starter on a JCB185 would be a pleasure!