Starting to look for a newer machine to replace my 95 8875 with approximately 3300 hours on it. Was originally planning to move to a CTL but while looking around found a CAT 236B with VTS installed, comes with a new set of tires/wheels 78" Tooth bucket, cab, heat, A/C with 1070 hours on it for $24,000. Is the VTS comparable to a true CTL or is it a compromise like running steel OTT's? How tough is the VTS system itself? Does it put additional wear on the machine itself? Was thinking the option to switch back to tires might be nice to plow snow, run on asphalt/gravel, and might help save wear on the tracks. Thoughts and opinions welcome John
A lot of guys have utilized the VTS and are happy with it. Since it uses the rear wheel hub to drive the unit it only depends on one of the two drive chains the skid has, putting a lot of stress on that one chain. Some have had them break, while others haven't. That is, unless the Cat dealer (on that 236b you're eyeing up) took the front drive chain off, installed a double sprocket on the rear axle and drive motor, and re-installed the front chain alongside the rear....makes it much less likely to break. I had the VTS on a Cat 236b2 two speed and really enjoyed it (CAT installed the double drive chains), except for the transport weight (close to 5 ton). Replacement idlers and hubs are super expensive and can take a while to get, but some have tracked down replacement bearings through NAPA, and have installed zerk fittings to make them greaseable. I would make sure the unit you are eyeing has the larger style drive hub in the rear (some of the early systems had a smaller hub). Also, the front of the VTS has a suspension torsion bar that can get weak over time (replaceable), but certainly makes the ride nicer than a rigid undercarriage system. It can also make your bucket lip (when digging) dive into the ground a bit until the axle bottoms out, but isn't that big of a deal to me. My friend leaves his VTS on year round - plows snow with it. It's held up well with no issues so far that I know of. Lift capacity is increased a good amount too. Did you also know it reduces the ground speed of the machine 1 mph or so? That's all I can think of for now.
Swanny thanks for the reply. Not sure if I'll make the drive to go look at it yet or not but for a little contractor like myself it looked like the best of both worlds and a better alternative than the OTT's I'm running now. Speed doesn't worry me too much, I don't "road" the machine much cross country. How was the 236B you had for power running the VTS? This one has a 78" tooth bucket on it. Ritchie Specs showed the machine about 66" wide stock so the bucket would be oversized, but I would imagine loads more traction with the VTS. Thanks Again John
I have never owned one but have seen a lot of the destruction of the results of them the first set I seen was at the case dealer and I said to a mechanic what about the drive chains he pointed across the shop at a machine tore down for chains said thats the result I still don't see how they got OEM approved I think more than one steak dinner and :drink up:drinkup:drinkup:drink up was donated to the cause I know some of the attachments will hit the front of the tracks when they get stretched because of the way the adjuster works :my2c
Power was good. That reminds me, if that 236b has a perkins I would definitely check to see if the head gasket was updated. If not, it'll be a crap shoot whether it'll have longevity and avoid the typical issues that necessitate a rebuild or replacement motor. If that same setup was for sale around here it would be hard pressed to bring that kind of money, imo.
I had VTS in our rental fleet for two years. The joke was you could not make an oil change without replacing something on the vts. Idlers, rollers, Mounting studs, and bearings. Granted this was four years ago and rental customers don't treat the equipment the best. I would go for over the tire set ups if you need them occasionally. When the vts worked, it did work good just was failure prone.
I have and still run one. If you bullet proof it before hand as Swannny said it's a pretty stout unit. Parts became super expensive when Terex bought Loegering. Rear drive chains wear faster. I like the double rear drive. Make sure your tracks interchange with something else. Loegering had and still might have some of the worst oem made track materials. Dry cracks very fast. Compared to the ASV track machine cat had the vts was light years ahead in durability. I didnt like the torsion spring, making a cut would weight the front and pull your edge down. I made a travel stop in underneath of the rubber bumper. Love the extra weight for pushing and packing. We run a 259 also, with the vts you have a full fledged track machine.
Thanks for the responses guys. Did a lot of reading the last couple days and it seems like a love it/hate it relationship. Meaning guys who liked it loved and others hated it. The extreme width is the thing holding me back right now. If it has the Perkins in it its a no go for me. I'm not looking to buy a known money pit. Also found an 03 t190 open cab with 1100 hours on it so I'm kind of one the fence. Thanks guys John
Are you going to sell the 8875?
My plan is sell it or trade it. I'd prefer to sell it as that typically brings a better price. I him-hawed around and the 236 sold already. After doing some reading g I think I'm leaning toward a dedicated track machine. The cost of one vts idler compared to most others would buy half a track so to speak to run a CTL all the time. I don't plow a lot of snow or do a lot of work on asphalt or concrete so I think the CTL route in a narrower package will probably be a better fit. John