Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845C Chains

caseaddict01 ยท 2010-10-11 19:58

I'm thinking about trying to adjust the drive chains on my 2001 Case 1845C and was wondering if this something that the average person can do, or is it something that is better left to the dealer? Also does anyone have any idea what the dealer might charge to adjust them? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1gggraham2010-10-11 22:10

    Checking chains is easy....take the covers off both sides, front and back and check chain deflection. I believe deflection is 1/2" to 1" mid way. To tighten chains block machine off ground, remove wheels. Loosen the nuts that hold axle housings to chain case do not remove them completely the housing may fall forward and unseat the o ring seal. Use the adjuster bolt to push axle housing back until chain deflection is right. Tighten nuts reinstall wheel. This job is no big deal....max 1hr labor charge at a dealer. Barring leaking axle housings.

  2. #2caseaddict012010-10-11 22:19

    What you described will adjust what I call the main drive chains correct? Isn't there some smaller chains, I think on the cluster sprocket, if so does anything need to be adjust on those??

  3. #3caseaddict012010-10-11 22:24

    I'm new to all this if you can't tell!! Thanks for the advice gggraham!!

  4. #4gggraham2010-10-17 00:16

    Yes the small chain from the motor to the cluster can be adjusted in the same way. Just loosen the bolts on the motor and use the adjuster screw to tighten chains. Your biggest enemy are chains that are too tight or a front chain much tighter than a back chain or vice versa. Just keep the chains snug, you don't want fiddle string tight and you don't want them flopping around.