Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845C control arm – reverse issues

Sethery0522 ยท 2017-05-27 22:37

I'm having an issue with my CASE 1845C. The right side control arm does not operate in reverse. It works going forward. The left hand side works fine in both directs. What could be some simple trouble shooting ideas I can look into before spending a lot of money at a repair shop? Some linkage items or grease fittings? I'm hoping it not anything expensive like a new pump. A possible related issue is that the right hand bucket control also has issues going back into neutral. The right hand drive control does go back to neutral. Video #1 - I'm describing the issue without the machine running. Video #2 - Machine is running

Replies2
  1. #1sims2017-05-29 09:13

    In the second video there was a brief view of the return spring for the RH side. It looked completely compressed, not allowing further movement. Disconnect the the linkage from the pump control arm and manually rotate to see if you get reverse. If that works you will need to correct/adjust the linkage. Video #1 audio has a horrible squeaking in the linkage. A good cleaning and lube when you readjust wouldn't hurt. Good luck. SimS

  2. #274inchShovel2017-05-29 18:55

    I agree with sims in that it can't hurt to try that but I thought I saw enough motion in pump shaft that he should have reverse. The springs are there only to create and hold a neutral position for pump and control levers. My 2 cents- since there does not to seem to be any bad pump noises, and other side works fine, I would look at a hung relief valve in the hydrostatic circuit. There should be one for both forwards and reverse, should be interchangeable. Do a thorough clean up, swap them, see if you now have no forwards. Cheap diagnostics anyway. If this does feel fix the problem, cut open hydraulic filter, look for metal, as something had to get into that relief valve.