Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845c drive spool seals

Bryan resendiz · 2023-06-28 23:18

Hello all, I have a 01 case 1845c. I recently replaced the inner and outer drive spool seals/o rings. Replaced them from front and rear pump. The sleeves and shafts appeared in decent condition. Fairly easy and quick job. I did it because I noticed it was weeping oil. No leaks as of yet which is awesome but now the back up alarm is sounding off just on idle. Didn’t do that before and I’m wondering if it’s got anything to do with what i did in regards to the o rings being changed. Perhaps what I did is messing with the pressure switches ? I did read that does pressure switches activate the back up alarm. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2023-06-28 23:35

    The position of the baseplate is critical for the pump to be in neutral position. Sometimes when you tighten the mounting bolt, it slightly moves the plate. Take a close look at the paint marks on the plate by the bolt head whether it is aligned as it was. I would think that if you raised the wheels off the ground & started it, it would be creeping in reverse slightly. Oh, congratulations on your first post!

  2. #2Bryan resendiz2023-06-28 23:51

    Thank you for replying . I did loosen the base plate and loosened the nylon nut to give it some play. Tried wiggling them back and forth to see if that helped any but no luck. I’ll try it again tomorrow. My frustration was through the roof so I had to give it a break. Here’s a second picture of the before

  3. #3alrman2023-06-29 00:24

    If you look closely at the top of the inner spools, you will see a small indent mark - these normally face away from each other. The before photo shows that position & the after photo shows them facing each other. The spools are not symmetrical, I've only ever put them back in the same way as I have removed them - so I don't know if that actually makes a difference??

  4. #4Bryan resendiz2023-06-29 00:37

    I never even thought of that but yes I do see what your talking about. That’s interesting, you also have a good eye my friend. Considering it wasn’t the best before picture, your awesome ! I’ll try turning the inner spools so that they face away from each other. Should I drain all the oil again or just try to turn them rather quickly to avoid making a mess ? I’m 99.9% sure I put the sleeves in correctly because they have a notch and appears to only go in one way due to the notch cut out.

  5. #5alrman2023-06-29 00:51

    Yes, you are correct about the notch in the outer sleeve, it is located by a pin. I would simply remove the nyloc nut & control lever plate & turn the spools as described. **TIP - Remove the hyd oil filler cap, to be certain there is no air pressure in the tank. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to fine tune that neutral position by jacking up & chocking the machine off the ground to see what the wheels are doing.

  6. #6Bryan resendiz2023-06-29 00:58

    That’s a big 10-4! I’ll get on it as soon as I get home from work. Thank you sir, ill keep updates coming

  7. #7Bryan resendiz2023-06-29 19:15

    Just got home and opened the hydraulic cap and pressure/air did come out as soon as I opened it.

  8. #8Bryan resendiz2023-06-29 22:04

    Alrman you are a life saver, your suggestion appears to have solved the alarm issue. I turned the inner spools/shaft so there facing away from each other put everything back together, fired it up lo and behold no alarm ! Thank you very much sir your are the man