Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 1845C Engine Rebuild Kit

kenworth ยท 2012-01-18 14:32

I just purchashed an 1845C with the Cummins 4B 3.9 engine that was run low on oil :Banghead and quit running. I just got it back to my shop and have not tried to turn it over because the battery is dead. Should I try and start it at this point or not I am planning on pulling the engine out and checking things out to see what was hurt inside. I would love to get some information regarding engine rebuild kits that everyone has used. I see them on the web and FP Diesel seems to be a popular one. Case wants about $2500.00 for a rebuild kit and online they range from $500 to $1000. I do not want to rebuild this engine with Chinese parts but its hard to know where the different kits are made. Which ones have you used, how much did you pay for it, and where did you buy it. I do plan on keeping this machine for my own use. I appreciate any advice on this up coming project. Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1alrman2012-01-18 15:52

    An engine failure due to lack of oil can be the most expensive as the crank will be damaged, possibly even the block. Does the engine turn over by hand? Good idea to drain the oil & look for any bearing material, plus cut open the filter & check it out also. If it stopped due to low or no oil I would not run it. Cleavite parts are also good aftermarket product for basic rebuild kits. If the crank is damaged beyond grinding - chinese may be the only parts you will buy , as genuine Cummins parts for these engines are now all made in China. All heads & crankshafts that you see advertised for sale will come from there. I have actually purchased a genuine crank for a 6B, came in a crate with chinese writing on it, was told the story that this is all that is available - I was worried as original crank was made in Germany & wondered how the new one could be equivelent. Took the new crank straight around to crankshaft engineering shop & had a full test done on it , hardness , trueness etc. They said it was as good as any they had ever seen...... I fitted it & touch wood.......it's still running 4yrs later on a machine that is used every day.:drinkup

  2. #2kenworth2012-01-18 20:26

    Hi arlman, Thanks for your response, I was hoping that you would give me your advice. I like reading your posts and consider you the Case expert here on the Forum. I have not tried to turn the engine over by hand as you asked, but will try that and I will not try to start it. Right now the machine is sitting outside the shop with 6 inches of snow on it so I'm not to interested in messing with it right now. I bet you don't have that snow problem right now where your at. I won't be working on it for awhile but I will post info of what I find inside the engine when I pull it out and open it up.

  3. #3xcmark2012-01-19 18:25

    I would be more inclined to just swap the motor with a used motor , a good used BT4 can be found for a round 1500~2000 and your down time is a weekend a few beers and bandaids.

  4. #4kenworth2012-01-19 23:35

    Do you have any recommendations on where to buy one?

  5. #5KSSS2012-01-20 00:03

    You might price a reman thru CASE. Drop your block off and pickup the new one. Should be an easy bolt up. I priced a reman for my 9020B and it was around 4K if I recall correctly. I would expect the 1845C version to be cheaper as it does not have a turbo. I would call several dealers in your area to compare pricing.

  6. #6alrman2012-01-20 18:15

    Thanks for the pat on the back Kenworth,:drinkup There are a few experienced Case guys here on the forum & I spose we have our specialty areas of advice. We are alot more scarce than the more common CAT trained wrenches Good luck on which way you decide to go to fix your skid steer, keep in mind if a used engine is fitted, you don't really know what you are buying & you could be doing it all over again - it's always a gamble........

  7. #7Bandmill Bandit2012-02-17 14:30

    I have rebuilt more then a few Case engines and specifically uniloader engines. done the 188 case engines that preceded the 4 390s that came out it in the C series. That 4-390 is a Cummins engine and it is worth rebuilding in most situations I have seen unless you have blown a hole in the crank case. If you can put a fly wheel wrench on it and get it to move even a 1/4 inch I would tear it down to start with. If not see if you can get a short block, have the head re condition and do get the fuel system re coned as well. should be good for another 5 or 6 K hours when your done. short block is the quickest and most cost effective way to go IMHO.

  8. #8IParts2012-02-23 16:24

    If you cannot find the parts you will need, we have reconditioned original cranks, blocks, and cams for the 4B and the 4BT Cummins. Also have new and reconditioned injectors and pumps.

  9. #9kenworth2012-02-28 22:56

    Hi Guys, Thank you for all your information. I appreciate everone's input on this project of mine. I did pull the oil filter off and cut it open recently. I found some bearing material in the pleets (non-ferrous) :Banghead and ran a strong magnet over the pleets but did not get any (ferrous) material. I know this is only a partial picture of what went on inside this engine and I am planning on pulling it out and going through it. I have checked in with my local diesel engine machine shop on prices for their work and have also found prices on FP Diesel Engine Kits. Rebuilding it seems to be the best route for me to go on this since I don't have to have it back in action quickly. I also checked on used engines, long blocks, and completly rebuilt engines as you guys suggested. I found all of these altenatives way more expensive than repairing what I have right now provided that I don't find something majorly wrong inside this engine when I pull it apart. I will let you know what I find when I pull the engine out and apart.

  10. #10maddog2012-02-29 06:01

    Sounds like you have it under control, the only thing I was going to add is be carefull if you go the used engine route, might just be buying another piece of scrap metal.

  11. #11OzDozer2012-03-02 01:16

    I prefer to rebuild rather than buy someone else's trouble in the form of a used engine. I would only buy a used engine if it came with a substantial warranty - and very few do. If you know the engine history exactly, and know that it came from a low hour wreck, then you do have great benefit in that knowledge. However, most used engines are for sale because they're nearly shot. Seen too many people buy a good used engine, and it crapped itself within a short space of time - myself included. Bought a "reputedly good" Mack engine from a big truck wrecker, and it came with a 30 day warranty. The Mack engine did just 46 days work before it crapped itself. It lasted just long enough to get out of warranty time. I've dealt with Swift Forklift Service, North Little Rock AR, for engine overhaul kits, and found them very good. They source components from all over, but I was surprised to find 90% of the parts supplied were of U.S origin. The parts and kits I've bought were mostly for Jap gas engines, and what wasn't U.S. made was made in Taiwan. I've never had a problem with Taiwan-made parts. However, some exhaust valves were made in China. I haven't run them yet, I hope they are O.K. We have to get used to the fact that Chinese-made parts are going to get more common, and that their QC will get better. Because Cat have more than 10 factories in China, you're going to see a lot of Cat parts appear soon, with "Made in China" on them. At present, those parts are limited to SE Asia, but as soon as Cat think that "Made in China" has reached a satisfactory level of user acceptance, you'll see a lot of Cat stuff appear in genuine Cat boxes, with "Made in China" on them.

  12. #12JOMO2012-03-12 12:29

    I saw on your post you rebuilt a 188. I'm getting ready to rebuild a 159 and wondered if you knew of any good sources for a rebuild kit. Thanks, Scott in joplin Mo

  13. #13kenworth2012-11-29 18:41

    Well I am finally able to get started on fixing this machine. Work, daily life activities, and multiple Vechicles, ATV"S,and other things that needed fixing are done for now. I got it cleaned up and moved it inside the shop with my forklift since it doesen't run and am starting on taking the engine out and getting it rebuilt. I have info. on engine kits and machine work so I need to get it out of the machine and open it up to see how bad the damage is. I am hoping that this does not turn into a nightmare project.:Banghead Sorry about the pictures, this is my first time uploading to the forum.

  14. #14oxlocked2014-03-11 00:43

    Hi. I have a case 1845b with the 188 diesel engine. Its tired and now the injection pump is acting up. I'm wondering if I change to the Cummins diesel engine will the motor mounts and shaft to the pumps be compatible. Thank you for any help you can give me.

  15. #15inthedirt2014-03-15 09:47

    Give The Victor L Phillips Co a call. They are right there in town (well at least out on the hiway). They used to do lots of those engine when they were used more.

  16. #16kshansen2014-03-15 10:17

    I have a complete set of books on the 1845C so if you need any spec's let me know. Looks like a good start, nice and clean, that makes any job easier!