Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845C: Engine Resealing

Larpy ยท 2020-02-17 21:50

I ordered the gasket kit for my 2000 Case 1845C off Amazon and to my surprise the main gasket kit is actually OEM Case! My question is what type of sealant/RTV do you veteran mechanics use on these machines? I am going to do the oil pan and timing gasket for now and the press in seal that goes on the output shaft to the hydraulic pump as I think that is the main seal that is leaking.

Replies2
  1. #1jacobd2020-02-17 23:33

    Be sure to align the seal housings exactly around the crank before driving the seals into their bores. The kit should have come with "installation tools" (steel ring things the same diameter as the seals) to do that with. Don't be tempted to install the seals before bolting the housings back on. Doing it that way won't last. Any RTV will do. I think I used the oil resistant stuff from walmart last time. I use a disposable syringe from the pharmacy to apply it like a tiny caulk gun. So much easier and more precise than cramping your fingers trying to squeeze it out of the tube.

  2. #2kshansen2020-02-18 19:46

    I'm sure there are people who say no sealant or only at a junction of a two or more piece gasket. My one suggestion if using silicone sealant would be to use very sparingly. Maybe just enough to put a shine on the paper gasket. Too much can squeeze out and get into places that may not be good! I also like the Form-a-gasket No. 3 / Aviation sealant with the brush in the can. But if gaskets have any printed on sealant I would say use nothing. Just make sure surfaces are spotlessly clean and smooth.