I've seen a few threads similar to my issue, but thought I would ask anyway. My fuel gauge used to work normally for the top half of the tank, but when the fuel level dropped below halfway the gauge would stay showing the tank as half full. Recently it just shows the tank as being full all the time. Is this my fuel level sender and if so, any suggestions on the best place to get another one?
Disconnect the wire at the sender and touch it to ground. If the gauge moves from full to empty, then the sender is the problem. You might try adjusting the rheostat arm, or cleaning the wire coils on the sender inside the tank. If the wire is gone or broken don't bother obviously. The guts of the sender might not be exposed either.
The wire is still there, touching it to ground still leaves the gauge reading full, as does simply disconnecting it. I'll look into your other suggestions.
No, check everything but what I suggested about the sender. Leave the sender in until you can get the gauge to work by grounding it.
Yes, if the gauge won't move by unhooking or grounding the wire nothing you do to the sender is going to have any effect! Well to be 100% correct it will have an effect on your bank account and or free time!