On my Case 1845C, if I begin lifting a heavy load slowly, my lift arms will actually begin to drop. If I increase the rate at which I lift it will stop descending and lift as it should. Any ideas on what is causing this?
How much weight are we talking about here? Is this something that just started to happen or always been???
I picked the machine up several years ago, it is a mid 90's loader, it has been acting about the same during the time I've had it. It's not really noticeable moving dirt, etc, where there are few fine maneuvers, but something like placing a steel beam in a pocket can get a little dangerous if someone is assisting. I would say it is noticeable at even 500 lbs, though the heavier the load the easier it will drop.
the load checks in the valve body are faulty, they are the flat plugs down between the fittings for the lines. Its purpose is to keep cylinder line pressure from being able to get to the spool to leak by until pump pressure exceeds the line pressure, then the load check opens and allows pump pressure to take the load, they have a tiny spring that fails. I just did my 40 and found some springs that were the diameter of the plunger and trimmed them to assure that they allowed the load check to completely, so much better than the factory setup, you will probably have to remove a couple lines to get working clearance, IIRC they are 7/8 low flat nuts, after repair I take sticky grease and put the load check together so it doesn't fallk apart when u turn it upside down to install it
That sounds very plausible. I won't complain if the replacement part is a little spring.
melben, you called it. I am certain you saved me upwards of $1000 for I highly doubt a local mechanic would have told me anything other than they needed to replace the valve body. As you mentioned, I did have to remove a few of the lines to get a socket on the valve heads, and I had to grind down an old socket to where the wall was thin enough to fit. The springs in both my valves were mashed and broken into several pieces. I've attached a few photos if they help anyone who comes across a similar issue. When replacing I set the valve into the opening, set the spring in it, and then screwed the cap down over top.
Good job. Thanks for the update and photos. Where did you get the replacement springs?? SimS
I found some at the hardware store and did the same as melben, matched the diameter and trimmed them to length.