I searched the forum and couldnt find anything specific, so i figured id post for the first time. When removing the oil pan from a cat 299D, does anyone know if removing the engine is absolutely necessary or can i remove the engine mount closest to the rear, loosen the rest, and angle the engine up enough to slide the oil pan out the back? Thank you for any input it is much appreciated!
Not sure if you can but most times the issue is clearing the oil pick up more than just sliding the pan straight out. Will you have room to unbolt the pick up with the pan under the engine or angle the pan enough to clear the pickup ?
I was worried about that, and I'm not sure yet, i will have to begin by angling the engine back slightly, so that i have enough room to actually lower the oil pan. From there i was really hoping i won't need to lift the whole engine, because that seems like an excessive amount of work to repair a small hole in the oil pan that is causing a constant but slow leak. And for some reason i can't find an answer anywhere online so digging in and learning the hard way seems like the only option.
I was going to take a boo at one of our 299D's today but unfortunately its out working. My best guess based on my experience is you'll likely have to lift the engine at a minimum to get it to clear. If not, you'll probably have to pull the engine. Wouldn't hurt to try and lift the engine first and see if it works. Just support it good. Fingers and hands don't grow back unfortunately.
I don't know much about a 299D but I would be shocked if you had enough room to slide the pan out from under the pickup tube. Remember it probably goes to nearly the bottom of the lowest part of the pan so that's how much room you need to get it out. You may be able to take the pan loose and have enough room to then undo the pickup tube but if you go that way be careful while reinstalling the pickup. Personally I would bite the bullet and pull the whole motor. Why does the pan have a hole in it anyway?