Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845C lights

BDO ยท 2020-04-26 20:41

After 2 days of tracing wires, checking fuses and cleaning connections (including grounds). The lights still dont work. Even with a new ignition switch. The only sign of life is when I push the horn button I get a clicking sound. Any suggestions??? Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-04-26 20:48

    Have you tried applying 12 volts directly to the light switch ? Perhaps it is defective. These diagrams are for an 1835, but I think the 1845 is the same.

  2. #2BDO2020-04-26 22:07

    Yes I have. It seems to be some kind of ground because I have pos. Write up to the light. And I did test the light and it's good. One thing I did notice is I have what appears to be a 1995 1845C. P.I.N. JAF0194695. I do not have a resistor attached to the fly wheel.

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-04-27 11:22

    Have you cleaned the blades in the wiring harness connectors ? Seems if you have .pos voltage to the light bulb pin then there is a ground fault. Just one light a problem or both of them ? Did you ever find a fuse in the circuit ? If not you should restore one to the original location to prevent a disaster.

  4. #4Ed ke6bnl2020-04-27 13:04

    Just because the voltmeter shows 12 volts does not mean it can carry a load, you can read 12 volts through a wire attached to the red lead of a volt meter on your finger, but you will not light a bulb through your finger. Maybe get a good ground and attach another light source to the hot wire.

  5. #5BDO2020-04-27 14:48

    Excellent idea. I'm going to run a wire from the battery directly to the bulb. Yes, all lights are not working . I also checked all grounds and cleaned the connections. Only thing I can think of is a broken ground wire in the harness ???

  6. #6BDO2020-04-27 14:48

    Thank you

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-04-27 17:25

    You do have known to be good bulbs in place, Correct ? Run a wire with a good 12 volts from the battery and connect it to one of the hot wires at a bulb. If it or or any of them do not illuminate then you definitely have a ground problem either in the harness of where it (the ground) terminates.

  8. #8BDO2020-04-27 22:42
  9. #9BDO2020-04-27 22:47

    You were spot on . It was reading 12v Look what I found under the harness. Thank you so much

  10. #10kshansen2020-04-28 11:35

    That might have something to do with the problem! Need to up the voltage to get it to jump the gap, thinking something like 50,000 volts might work!

  11. #11BDO2020-04-28 17:47

    Maybe I should just put a light there ???

  12. #12kshansen2020-04-29 09:52

    Or at least figure out why it was rubbing and correct that problem! Bet it has something to do with that linkage to the right side of the picture!

  13. #13BDO2020-04-29 22:11

    Just old. I moved it to fix it. The harness was in its bracket. I think just 25 years of laying there rubbing. FYI. I found another one on the other side that was wore thru also. Who knew ???? Thanks

  14. #14Tinkerer2020-04-30 13:02

    Glad you found it ! It was a miracle the harness didn't melt or burn.