I am new here and fairly stumped.. reading some of the post there is allot of smart mechanics out here.. We have a tier 1 dozer 1850k dozer. we bought it with like 2500 hours and have put 10,000 doing tree work on our farms. we just overhauled the motor and redid allot of the hoses and several years ago had a racing shop build a new HYD cooler as they aren't available. deleted all the troublesome HVAC for a red dot on the cab system. anyways, we fired it up and drove it around some and my bevel gear case oil is going into the trans. it seems like it is getting pumped in? it runs turns drives but we basically have it around the shop since overhauling no field work. It sat for a year till we had time to overhaul. when we drained oil prior to overhaul we noticed bevel didn't drain allot of oil. it sat for a year, so we didn't think too much of it as it needed several hoses. 2 thoughts 1. there is a seal out and by the parts diagram it looks like the reverse shaft at the bottom is splined and goes in to bevel also the top output shaft. could the trans spinning in neutral create enough vacuum to empty the bevel? but then why if i drain the transmission and leave plug out and fill the bevel does oil does not leak thru. it kind of doesn't make allot of sense. 2. we got a hose messed up... but all functions work and nothing seems out of line. it seems like trans builds pressure and gets overfilled and white foamy oil will pump out of the Tee breather on firewall. I kinda feel like its a prior to overhaul problem that didn't get caught... any help would be great seals for trans are unavailable or back ordered and i hate to pull the trans just to take a look at it.. kind of stumped and the Titan dealers by me don't see allot of action on these so they kind of are lost a bit also.
My experience is with a series 2 machine, so I don't know if the power train is the same. If it is, there is a 2 section pump on the convertor housing. If I remember right, the front section is the transmission scavenge and the rear is the steering. A transfer was usually between those 2 sections through a shaft seal between them. If you determine that is it, don't bother trying to reseal it. Buy a new pump.
Thanks. That really made me think about those pumps. I need to look more closely but does any of the pumps even have a suction out of the bevel.. or is it like the finals closed off. the steering it looked like was run off big pump via Hydraulic tank. I had a hard time following the brake lube circuit on schematic and was gonna traces hosed tomorrow Ps.. the service manual is pretty crude.
Again, I am basing my thoughts on a series 2 machine so if your powertrain is different in a series 1 I could be sending you on a wild goose chase. The steering oil is drawn from the bevel gear case, if you're sitting in the operator's seat...............right lower front of the case. There should be a suction screen bolted to the case and the suction line goes straight to that pump. Do you have the cab tilted so pics of the convertor/transmission could be taken and posted? That would help me see what powertrain we may be dealing with and whether the info I give you is correct or not.
My guys traced the hoses, and we think the pressures lines got swapped on the pump for the brakes/ lube pump and torque convertor scavenger pump. when traced the brake pump pressure line was going back into trans instead of brakes. looks like the front but is larger which makes sense why it slowly goes into trans as we were feeding brakes with scavenger pump from trans oil. Simply mistake that could turn out badly if we didn't run and check things really close upon engine start up after overhaul.. they are putting oil in now and see if it works but I thank you for putting us towards that direction. we farm so it ended up being a project we worked on rainy days. anything is possible. The case service manual isn't a CAT manual that's for sure. Been a good dozer though. I will get back to you thanks Again
That solved it.. Hardest problems to solve are the ones you make.. thanks for your help
I love a happy ending.