Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D7E Torque Converter Screen Question

nicholasktu ยท 2023-11-08 14:51

I'm changing the transmission oil in my D7E, looking through the parts diagrams there is a screen inside the torque converter housing, on the bottom of it. The manual doesn't say anything about cleaning it though, just the screen on the transmission pipes. Should I clean it out or is there a reason to leave it alone? 48A1697 Serial

Replies8
  1. #1bccat2023-11-08 23:37

    Since your changing your oil, most definitely clean the screen, shows you the health of the transmission, and piece of mind , use diesel or brake clean to clean the screen

  2. #2Nige2023-11-09 03:48

    Generally that screen only comes into play if the converter grenades but if you have no previous history then it IMHO would be worthwhile to pull it and look for shrapnel.

  3. #3nicholasktu2023-11-09 06:36

    The machine works fine, shifts and drives well. The screens on the transmission had a decent amount of gunk on them but no metal shavings or pieces. The oil was pretty dark but not too bad overall.

  4. #4Nige2023-11-09 07:43

    Got photos of the "gunk".? Was it by any chance burned clutch material.? That could explain the oil colour if clutches have been slipping. If the oil was dark it was ***ked. The transmissoin oil is supposed to be clear & bright and a light straw colour. Did you pull the converter drain screen.?

  5. #5nicholasktu2023-11-09 07:46

    Not yet, I'll look at it this morning. That oil hasn't been changed in a long time, I figure it needed it bad. Good thing was I didn't get any water out of it. It wasn't dark like diesel engine oil, but definitely not like it should have been.

  6. #6nicholasktu2023-11-09 08:53

    I was expecting it to look like the transmission screens but it was almost completely clean. The only thing in it was the crud down in the corners at one end. It wasn't magnetic so I'm not sure what it was. I tried to get a picture to give an idea what the oil looked like too.

  7. #7nicholasktu2023-11-22 18:52

    Got the steering clutches out, going to look at the plates tomorrow, see if they need replacing before they go back in.

  8. #8nicholasktu2023-12-07 16:06

    Steering clutches measure at 2 5/8" total thickness, brake drums look brand new. Also, the teeth on the clutch discs are sharp and still have machining marks on them. No way those drums and discs are original.