Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 207d engine issues

HoeHoeHoe · 2023-08-12 20:26

Hi all I'm having a misfire condition with a 207d engine in a 580c backhoe . bought the machine a bit too quick . its having a high speed misfire issue ( need to check rpm ) I initially suspected injector issues but a shop tested them and said they where good . checked valve lash and they where loose across the board, tightened them up but still misfires . broke down and had injection pump rebuilt , sent injectors in as well and this shop said 3 of 4 where bad so got 4 standyne injectors. Put new pump and injectors in today , runs better but still a misfire at high speed. The engine starts easy even when it was below 30*f this winter without ether . idles down nice till its on the stop on pump with no looping as if one cylinder was down on pressure. The misfire starts very distinct and stops very distinct, it doesn't start slow and ramp up with rpm . if that makes sense . My questions are as follows 1 the sticker on valve cover states a 2600 psi injector pop , but the injectors I removed and new injectors are 3200psi pop . would this have enough of an effect on timing to cause misfire ? based on my s/n case electron parts catalog also specs a 2600psi pop injector. 2 looked in the case manual tonight quick and I can't find any specs on the can shaft to check valve or lobe lift spec. Does anyone have specs preferable somewhere I can verify second source as well ? Thank you

Replies13
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-08-12 21:28

    From the service manual.

  2. #2HoeHoeHoe2023-08-12 21:40

    The service manual I have lists a few more injectors including 3200 psi injectors . case electronic catalog also lists two different psi injectors . I have RM 22365

  3. #3thepumpguysc2023-08-13 03:11

    It’s been my experience that a mid level miss is caused by pump timing.. either too far advanced or retarded. Unless your pump hsg has timing marks on the mounting flange (at 12:00) u need to make a scratch mark on the pump flange and block.. just to show your starting position.. Now WITH THE ENGINE OFF, loosen the 2-3 nuts and washers and move the pump (twist) about a dimes width in either direction from your scratch mark AND TIGHTEN THE NUTS.. now start the engine and check your problem.. If it’s worse, repeat in the opposite direction.. Remember to TIGHTEN THE NUTS BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE.. Good luck

  4. #4HoeHoeHoe2023-08-13 07:34

    I agree it seems timing related . So I searched to see if there was different timing across the years and it seems so . I found a thread where you posted a picture with different pumps and timing . I do not have any of the pumps listed . I have a -30aj spec pump . I could not find a spec sheet from standyne online . Case 580C, 207D, backfire rough running I'm kinda new to the forum hope I'm in the right place. I just purchased and installed a "rebuilt" engine in my backhoe it's a 207D in a 79 model Case 580C. I installed the engine and it runs a little rough and throws a backfire here and there with plenty of white fuel smoke. Contacted the place... HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5HoeHoeHoe2023-08-13 07:55

    So the new pump came back with an updated tag which I have found the spec sheet for . https://www.stanadyne.com/dealerportal/ssi/J.I.%20Case/03018.pdf I'm guessing I should move pump towards 0* as I set it at 8*btc ?

  6. #6Tinkerer2023-08-13 08:03

    For what it's worth, which is nothing.

  7. #7HoeHoeHoe2023-08-13 08:22

    The new pump number superseded -58aj pump which calls for 8*btc . Still looking for answers on my two initial questions .

  8. #8Tinkerer2023-08-13 09:21

    thepumpguy may be the only one that can answer question #1. In regards to question #2, -- the lift and duration of the lobes is not normally published as far as I know. I have seen as much .002 wear on high hour engines. I found that out by measuring all of the lobes on used camshafts and comparing the measurements to a new one. My personal choice is to replace the camshaft in a high hour engine when doing a major overhaul. It would include new lifters, valves, valve springs, guides and seats. I have removed camshafts that had as much as 1/2 of a single lobe worn off. You could remove the valve cover on your 207 and very carefully watch the rocker arms while the motor is running and try to determine if they are all traveling the same distance. Or you could measure the lift of each one, one at a time while rotating the engine by hand.

  9. #9HoeHoeHoe2023-08-13 09:39

    I'd prefer to have numbers and check with an indicator . Going through the book there is a s/n break in cam shaft, pistons , injectors probably other stuff as well but I think I'm going to try the correct injector for the s/n before adjusting timing .

  10. #10joe--h2023-08-13 11:02

    Change the timing and find out for free, or buy another set of injectors? I know what I would do. No offense, but are you an engineer? Joe H

  11. #11thepumpguysc2023-08-13 11:06

    The thing about ordering the injectors “u want” will be superseded to the latest number, which means your going to get the same injectors u already have.. Stanadyne has a service bulletin that states the pump must be turned up 10% when installing the new updated injectors..(higher pressure) Sorry but I don’t know the sb #..

  12. #12HoeHoeHoe2023-08-13 11:52

    Stanadyne injector 20674 is still made and correct psi for s/n . Also going through the list of possible issues is weak valve springs .

  13. #13HoeHoeHoe2023-10-29 19:22

    Just reporting back , I'm an idiot . Turned out the front motor mount being collapsed and metal on metal . must of hit the correct harmonic at a certain rpm and make everything shake .