No answers so I will repost. New to the forum,,,need help Just bought a 1960 Case 310 D dozer. Took it to a friend (car mechanic) for new fluids and checkup. When I bought it the previous owner said the left brake band needed adjustment. I was in the process also of buying a winch for it. My friend and I took of the back Dif. plate to change fluid (to mineral oil read prior post) and found that he had welded the right band that had broken at sometime and the adjustment locking nut removed and used just a bolt. The left side we noticed was "flexing" up and down. After further inspection we found the cast metal "bosses" (If thats what there called) are cracked looks like 4 of them. Welder said he couldnt repair them with just front side showing. Need help on this guys. Of course previous owner (of 25 years) denied any wrong doing. Even with new perma gasket was found to be used. Has anyone seen this happen,do I need to look further or is this a stress point and common. Dozer on hoist... mechanic needs it to go.
Any pictures?
I put it back together to get it out of the shop today. I went to case website and it shows the part as #11423 Housing differential ce..and then that's it. It actually has three tabs, each tab has two sides to it. It is item number 47 in the exploited view. They are held in place with metal dowels..if that helps. I guess it is easier to buy the whole back end (time and labor) then to tear it all apart!?!?