Did a bit of a clean up recently on a D6H. Not fully finished yet but almost there.
Can't see where you've been.
Wow what happened to this poor dozer ? Did you find it on the bottom of the ocean ? Great job giving this good old girl another life
If the outside of the machine looked like that what was the componets on the inside like? Hopefully it isn't just a Dupount overhaul! The blade was junk that was for sure.Looks like you need to replace one of the center cutting edges.
The operator(s) on that machine should have been taken out and shot. IMHO hanging would be too good for them ......... As pointed out the RH cutting edge is the wrong one for the blade. It's not long enough and doesn't have the correct "V" profile at the end to tie in with the end bit. What hit the fuel tank..?
It came out of a cement works. There was a lot of caked cement under the covers also. If it wasn’t a D6H it wouldn’t have been worth the all the work. We had a replacement blade with the corner piece missing which is what we put on. An interesting story of how we ended up the replacement blade which I will give the quick version. About 6 years ago they were loading a ship with 20 x New Cat machines and some new replacement parts in Antwerp, Belgium. There was 17 x backhoes (422E and 428E), 2 X D6R’s and a 924G. They were all destined for Ghana. Whoever was in charge of getting the ballast right on the ship made a balls of it and the ship went over on her side and the poor new Cats had a swim. We got the lot from an insurance company and the blade on the D6H was one of the spare parts on board. As for the man who was loading the ship, I don’t know where he is now.
Nice job, I have a question. Why does this D-6H with the short undercarriage have the upper idler roller ? Or should the decals say LGP ?
I wouldn't be too fast to hang the operator, more often than not at our company it's the upper management people who think washing a machine is a waste of time. "Why spend time washing it, it's just going to get dirty again?" Run balls out till shut down time and get out of here, we're not paying you to make that machine look pretty. Lucky the operators get enough time to fuel them up. Grease them? if they need greasing they will start squeaking. Then grease till it is dripping on the shop floor.
Looks real good
one of my favourite all time tractors.Very nice job,but I prefere genuine decal sets.I must be an anorak....
Why does a lot of the UK dozers get equipped with the short topped lift cylinders where here our are all the long one except on the LGP machines.The one above is not an LGP that i can tell! XL machine. There has been other pictures here of UK machine with the SU blades and short lift cylinders.Usually here the LGP machine has straight blades, and 8 bottom rollers compared, to 7 rollers on the XL and XW machines here.It it just a UK thing from Cat or is there a reason for the short lift cylinders used over there????
See a lot of dozers that come out of cement plants looking like that. A lot of them look like that at 6,000 to 8,000 hours and wont run anymore.
Has there been any work done to the engine and transmission or has it all been improving its appearance?
I don't want to keep harping on about the cutting edges but if I was looking at that machine and could see something like that it would immediately make me think that if the seller couldn't be bothered to sort such an obvious thing in plain sight what other things couldn't they be bothered to fix that are not so obvious.......
Agreed
I found a few photos relating to the story I told above about the Cats that had a swim with a few more before and after shots.
and here is one of the dozers from the same accident
Yes, I would rather see it there with a missing edge and have someone say edge is on back order and will be installed as soon as it comes in. Like they say you only have one chance to make a good first impression. Another thing I would be looking at is there dirt in the belly pans with nice fresh paint on it? That tells me it's what we call a five gallon overhaul, all paint no parts!
Wow nice job but I feel 4 that tractor the people who let it get like that should be tortured.
I agree.Nige.same goes for the genuine decal set. All my kit have genuine Cat yellow and Cat transfers.They may run just ok but look damn good