OK I have tore into the brakes on my new to me 1961 case 310E. I am going to reline the brake bands but the old lining is so bad I need to know how thick of a lining to order. I know some of you will say just order the bands but that is $300.00 And I can reline them my self for about $75.00 I don't do this for A living just a hobby need to save money where i can I am also going to be putting a clutch in this dozer and the money i save relining the brakes I can use to by the clutch and pressure plate. McMaster Carr sells the lining I know they are 1 3/4" wide 24" long with 18 rivets each I just can't tell how thick the lining was as it is in poor condition. I did buy GL-1 oil to put back into the machine so I should not have this problem again. Thanks for your help
Hi, Having owned a 310G, I have a little experience with the brakes on these. I think you will not only need to know what thickness to make the linings, but what material as well. The brakes on these are not great at the best of times, and generally the bands break before they are worn out. Check also for the drums wearing thinner toward the open end as this will also reduce the efficiency of the brakes. I used to know some guys that ran case 350s that tried everything regarding brake linings. From memory they only had success with the genuine parts. Could still be worth a try though if you get the right lining material. Baz
I just bought a broken 1964 Case 310c and am curious about parts availability.