Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 350 not charging

Eric a1cnc · 2021-02-25 18:16

Now that i have this running well I noticed it is not charging. It has a generator and voltage regulator. I did the motor test to the generator and it didn't spin. I had a 2nd genny that did pass the spin test so I put it in. Then I put a jumper on the f and a terminals, connected the red lead of my meter to the jumper and the black lead to the case. When I started the dozer I only get ~ .3-.4V Is that saying the generator is not charging? I did do some searching but didn't find what a low voltage meant. Generators are new to me.

Replies13
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-02-26 08:20

    I cannot give you an answer about your generator, Eric. A simple inexpensive alternative to that generator set-up is to replace with a Delco 10si alternator. If you do that, be sure to get a self exciting one. It will charge at idle speed without the need to increase the rpm's to get it to start charging. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...TOR+GM+DELCO+10SI+LOW+TURN+ON+SPEED+&_sacat=0

  2. #2Delmer2021-02-26 10:11

    IF you want to get the generator working instead of swapping to an alternator, take a look at some of the old tractor forums, or search for generator diagnosis by model. They all function the same, case, farmal, ford, and the info is out there, you just have to know where to look and how to word the search to come up with what you need. I've never seen much knowledge on this site regarding automotive generators.

  3. #3Eric a1cnc2021-02-26 11:02

    I was hoping It would work as I have 2 of them and 1 of them did pass the 1st test and I also have one on my 68 580ck I will be rebuilding the engine on this year. Might end up eventually buying 2 alternators. I actually have a 60 amp alternator in my pile of stuff but it does have the 2 spade connector on the side. I might try that as I already have it and I have an Led I can wire in as a charge indicator.

  4. #4Delmer2021-02-26 12:55

    Alternator wiring is simple also. There might be 3-4-5 connections on the back of it, but it will work with one thick wire from the battery that you already have, and one wire from the "ignition" circuit which is already going to the generator voltage regulator. It's just a matter of which get hooked to which, you'll find a diagram that matches your alternator easy enough. The LED might not pass enough current to use as a charge indicator, just a warning if you put it together and it doesn't charge, try bypassing the light. You don't need a charge indicator or diode for a diesel with a cable stop, they're needed for a gas ignition circuit.

  5. #5Eric a1cnc2021-02-26 16:58

    So out of 3 generators.. Not even enough good parts to make 1... And, My 12SI delco remy alternator is too big in diameter to fit in place. SIGH I just ordered a mini alternator online for $48. We will see how that goes

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2021-02-26 18:36

    You can get a self energizing alt. that only requires one wire. You probably will have to go to a alternator shop to get one though.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-02-26 19:40

    I used one of these the last time I converted a 10si. Any auto parts store should have them in stock. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delco-10SI...532602?hash=item2d0754e57a:g:4hMAAOSwZd9ee7Yc

  8. #80072021-02-26 20:27

    The old generators have very low cut in speed and would not over heat due to there very low current output. When we did conversions we would normally reduce the pulley size on the alt from the Gen pulley size to give them more speed. Its not the excitation speed being the problem its when the engine runs with flat battery's at low rpms the alternators can over heat because they like lots of speed to get some cooling cause they will be wacking out more current than the old Gen. If its a B section belt make sure the alternator front bearing can take the load.

  9. #9Eric a1cnc2021-02-26 21:26

    This is what I ordered https://www.ebay.com/itm/373366588337 Seems like a good price. It claims it is a 1 wire alternator. We will see when I get it

  10. #10Eric a1cnc2021-03-07 21:05

    I installed the new baby alternator today. I was happy, It just bolted right in. Didn't have to do anything to the bracket to get it in. Bought an 18"long #4 cable from tractor supply. I wired that from the alternator power terminal to the battery side of the intake heater solenoid. Then 1 side to a switched wire from the key switch. The other side to an led dash light I bought, and then to a fused wire. And yes, I know I need to replace the led with an incandescent bulb. With a powered wire going to the alternator, it was putting out over 14 v at pretty much idle.

  11. #11Delmer2021-03-07 21:21

    Your LED is fine if it works, goes on with engine off, and goes off when engine is on and charging. That's a one wire alternator, so the warning light should be optional, it will charge with only the battery wire hooked up. I'll have to remember that alternator, that would be handy in a lot of alternator replacements.

  12. #12Eric a1cnc2021-03-08 09:47

    Thanks Delmer. I will try reversing the leads on the led then and see if it works. I will be buying another when I get working on my 68 580ck

  13. #13Coaldust2021-03-08 12:38

    Interesting. I’ve never ran across that model of Denso before and the price is certainly awesome. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.