Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 40 XT drive problem

Hawkdriver ยท 2014-08-18 14:43

I recently bought a used 40 XT 3581 hrs. I checked it out when buying it, but the area I was able it run it was a level gravel lot. When I got it home it ran like a champ at first. When the machine gets warm it looses power in its drive. I first noticed it when redoing the drive way. I was climbing out of the ditch and pushed forward on both control arms and nothing, the machine just sat there. There was no unusual noise from the drive motors the machine just refused to move. I had to rock it back and forth several times using only one control arm at a time, to get out of the ditch. Even hot it will run fine on level ground, but when warm and under load (both control arms being used) it just stops moving. I put it up for the night and returned the next morning it ran just fine plenty of power for about 20 minutes until the oil got warm then the same thing. Any ideas? I am thinking the tandem pump, but prying its not.

Replies2
  1. #1Swannny2014-08-18 18:53

    The 40xt machines were notorious for eating drive motors, I think. You'd have to take pressure readings to verify if it's the pump or not.

  2. #2Hawkdriver2014-08-18 21:19

    First thanks for the reply. What are the chances of both drives going out at the same time? The darn thing works well when cold or not under a load i.e. driving on level ground, but as soon as it gets hot and it put under a load it just stops. If you trying to turn left, and have the left control arm pulled aft and the right pushed forward it just sits there still as can be. No noise or whining just sits still.