Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 40XT starts with direct power to fuel solenoid – no parking brake release or control panel lights

PatrickNorway · 2026-06-23 15:02

Hi, I recently bought a 2002 Case 40XT skid steer with a Cummins 4B 3.9L engine (approx. 1250 hours). The machine will not start normally suddenly. However, if I supply 12V directly to the fuel shut-off solenoid, the engine starts immediately and runs perfectly. The problem now is that I can not enable parking brake release, and I have no green indicator lights in the control box where the ignition key is located. The hydraulics work normally, and everything else seems to function. So far I have: Tested the seat switch Tested the ROPS/safety bar switch Swapped all relays around to check if a relay was faulty Bypassed the fuel solenoid with 12v directly. I suspect there is a problem with the electrical supply or safety control circuit that feeds the fuel solenoid and parking brake solenoid. Does anyone know where the power feed for these circuits comes from, or what common failure points to check on a Case 40XT? Wiring diagrams or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated. I appologise for bad english I am from Norway Best regards Patrick

Replies4
  1. #1thendrix2026-06-24 08:28

    Can't speak to a 40XT but on my 1845C with the same engine there's a fuse on the right side in the engine compartment that if it blows there's no power to the gauges. It's a blade style automotive fuse on mine. Might check for something like that if you haven't already

  2. #2PatrickNorway2026-06-24 17:28

    Thank you for your reply. So there is a fuse in the engine conpartment also? Not only the fuses on the left side next to the relays? Best regards Patrick

  3. #3thendrix2026-06-24 19:29

    On my 1845C there is. It's a flat, blade type automotive fuse. Maybe a 30 amp. Can't remember for sure. You're 40xt is a newer model than mine by a little so it may not but it has the same Cummins 4B so I would think it's fairly possible that it does have it

  4. #4alrman2026-06-24 21:23

    There are 2 circuit breakers mounted to the side of the fuse box, a 40A & 15A. They power the entire machine, they connect direct to the power feed from the + battery cable on the starter motor - first place to look. If they are OK, then recheck the relays & the power going to them - one of them is a main power relay - just swapping them with another, doesn't always mean you are checking it with a good relay - I always swap with a new one.