Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 259d4 final drive disassemble procedure 2 speed

0s240 · 2026-06-23 18:32

i dont know how to remove the 3 inner planetary gears out, anything will help would like the manual cant seam to get any thing from cat, need to replace the metal to metal seal

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2026-06-23 18:47

    Try posting a machine Serial Number to help search for information. Do you have the replacement seal yet.?

  2. #2Deimos2026-06-24 05:15

    There are models 259D and 259D3, but 259d4 does not exist.

  3. #30s2402026-06-25 18:28

    No, I do not have the seals ordered yet. The tag says 259D4 a space 1330070 serial number FTL24363 then there’s an MSO 8ZQDS thank you for any help.

  4. #4Nige2026-06-26 06:42

    FTL24363 makes perfect sense, the rest apart from the MSO does not. Could you post a photo of the tag please. Attached the parts breakdown plus the D&A instructions. It appears that you are going to need a load of special tooling or get really creative to disassemble this motor.

  5. #50s2402026-06-26 08:12

    I think I put the picture in there but yeah we know we might need some specialized tools. We’re told they don’t fix them anymore that they just replace them. I don’t really believe that, but I’m not sure if that was from cat salesman or the cat mechanic my brother got that from but thank you

  6. #6Nige2026-06-26 08:35

    Based on reading the D&A procedure if it was mine I wouldn’t waste my time and money on tearing it apart, I’d just Reman it either from Cat or an aftermarket supplier. Too much to go wrong digging into it that might leave you with a Core that doesn’t qualify for Reman credit.

  7. #7Simon C2026-06-26 09:40

    A box of parts brought to dealership for an exchange is worth $0.00 for exchange. Once apart it sometimes gets way more complicated than the tooling the average person has, plus one thing done wrong and it will leak or grenade. Simon C

  8. #80s2402026-06-27 12:17

    Thanks for all the help guys, but the manuals and the photographs that you’ve sent are not of this planetary system. They have four inner planetary gears. This one has three I think I included pictures of the inner planetary with the outer planetary sitting right there the number on the machine and I’ve included the serial numbers before I’m beginning to think this is a unicorn cause no matter where I’ve looked. I cannot find three inner planetary if you can help I’d appreciate it.

  9. #9Nige2026-06-27 12:24

    The parts list I uploaded is based on a 2-speed motor for your specific machine Serial Number. Does the drive motor you are working on have a Cat Part Number tag on it.?

  10. #10Nige2026-06-27 13:08

    That photo you uploaded in Post #6 above is not the machine data plate BTW. It looks like the delivery sticker for the shipment of the machine from the factory to the dealer from what I can see. The data plate is metal and should be on the RH side of the machine up by the loader arm pivot and should look something like the second illustration.

  11. #11Nige2026-06-27 13:13

    I have looked through the parts and D&A instructions again. IMHO it matters little whether the inner planetary assembly has three gears or four it should still come apart and go back together in exactly the same way.

  12. #120s2402026-06-27 13:43

    OK, thank you very much. Is it really necessary to dismantle the hydraulic motor just to replace the seals between the two it’s been a while but I think we came up with about four to $500 for the seals. New planetarian motor are over five grand at that rate. I don’t know why we bought another one the John Deere’s are easy to take apart and replace that seal and we have bobcats get stickers that aren’t hard to take a part either and this thing doesn’t have a whole lot of hours on it. I think it’s $1800. Something just got sucked up in there. There’s anything else I really appreciate it. Thank you.

  13. #130s2402026-06-27 13:44

    Oh, and yes, it does have a cat motor on it. Nothing’s been replaced hydraulic motor that is.

  14. #14Nige2026-06-27 13:54

    Sorry I've never pulled one apart. Maybe someone else here has. TBH we wouldn't waste the time on it, simply put a reman unit on and get back to work.

  15. #15HarleyHappy2026-06-28 10:22

    Just be aware that the metal to metal seal can be taken out by a bad drive motor, that’s leaking by inside. Seen too many instances, where people replace the front seal in drive motors and they end up leaking again, real quick. Then they ask why.

  16. #16Nige2026-06-29 08:45

    This ˄˄˄˄˄˄˄˄ - with knobs on........ Usually a leaking seal is an indication of problems deeper inside the component.

  17. #17HarleyHappy2026-06-29 10:57

    It’s not like after fixing stuff for what seems like a lifetime, I don’t have at least 10 bad drives kicking around, with intentions of fixing them at one time. All have bad nose seals. Need to start throwing some stuff out. I replaced the shaft and bearing on one Eaton drive for the tune of 1600 bucks, because the seal blew out. That money went right up in smoke. Still needed a re-man and unfortunately my success ratio on fixing drives sucks.