I recently purchased a 2006 Case 430 with 3350hrs. It pretty consistantly blows blue smoke and sounds like it is missing at the same time. Only when I get it working at around 50-90% throttle does it clear up and sound healthy. Idle and full throttle isn't pretty. It has been sitting for some time so it has old fuel in it. Should I be worried about this and look into it asap? Or burn the tank and see if some fresh fuel and time clears things up?
The smoke doesn't bother me at all. I don't like the missing sound at idle AND full throttle. Does it sound good under full load and/or half LOAD at full speed? I'd at least drain the tank and fill it with biodiesel blend to loosen the gunk, then switch back from the bio if you get it figured out.
Thanks for the help. I was out plowing a little today. On initial start it smoked bad and sounded rough, it was in a warm shop all night so I didn't expect that. Once it warmed up and I throttled up (90%) it sounded good and exhaust was clean. With foot pedal I can throttle up fully but that is when it smoked again and ran a little rough. Even with the engine warm it will still sometimes smoke at idle and low speed. I always think worst case and I'm hoping a cylinder isn't losing compression and letting oil in... Any thoughts on what it could be?
I'd like to hear what thepumpguy thinks of the way it smokes and misses. It could be burning oil, you'll see the oil level drop eventually. Blue is supposed to be oil... It could also be old fuel and a bad spray pattern, or leaky injector. I'm not sure how that would explain your symptoms exactly, that's why I'd like to hear what thepumpguy thinks. Does the blowby look bad? If it's leaking enough by the rings to misfire, then I'd expect enough oil to be blowing out the engine to made a wet clean oily spot where the vent tube goes.
Compression?
Assuming it hasn't been horribly abused that engine should not be burning any oil at 3300 hours. If it really is burning oil the easiest way to tell is if it's losing oil which will be evident upon regular checks. The missing sounds like a fueling issue. I would first suspect a fuel supply problem. Be sure to check/change the filter. If you have any doubt go ahead and drain the tank for bonfire starter. Sitting for some time could mean it has grown algae and gummed the system up. Could also be a failing lift pump. I would drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel, change the filter, and go from there.
As stated above, BLUE smoke is generally ENGINE OIL.. It could be a loose valves, could be compression/oil rings on the pistons.?? Could be a few things.. & like Delmer said, It could be bad spray pattern on injectors causing some problems.. U can try to narrow it down to A cylinder by raising the rpms till it starts skipping/missing.. Loosen the line up AT THE INJECTOR while its running & check the exhaust smoke.. NO DIFF., Tighten it up & move on to the next one.. Once/IF u can narrow it down, try moving that injector to another hole.. the furthest away from the problem hole.. & re-test.. IF the problem STAYS on the original problem hole, u know where to start looking.. IF the problem followed the injector.. there ya go, u have a faulty injector.. This might be easier "said than done" tho.. most people don't own an injector "puller" & resort to hammers & screwdrivers.. YOU CAN try loosening the inj. lines tho w/ minimal tools.. What does the VENT TUBE tell ya.. lots of heavy smoke?? No smoke?? YOU COULD try adjusting the pump timing alittle to burn off the "oil" alittle better.. DONT move it A BUNCH.. just a degree or 2.. The inj. pump has a timing line on the corner of the mounting flange.. THAT LINE corresponds w/ a line or degree marks on the engine block.. PAY ATTENTION TO where IT WAS.. so u can put it back.. IF your engine has a CAV/Delphi DPA pump, there is an ARROW on the name plate.. move the pump OPPOSITE the direction of the arrow on the NP.. Good luck.
By your own words, this machine has SAT awhile.. NOT GOOD.. I'd start by DRAINING the tank & w/ fresh fuel AND filters, start your testing.. You don't wanna start running with rocks in your pocket.. if ya know what I mean.. If u start messing w/ the timing & your doing it w/ bad fuel, your not gonna get very far..{see good results}
Thanks for all the input, I'll drain the tank today. Hopefully get a filter in as well and see what that looks like. I'll run some seafoam through it to, could it possibly be a stuck/sticky injector? There is no blow-by just smoke.
Yes, an injector not closing will dribble and smoke and knock. As long as there's a place that it runs fairly decent, I'd put a couple hours of work on it with clean fuel, then see what it does. If it doesn't sound good when running, like a knock, then shut it down.
I had an issue like that with a 440 that would display that miss. I had the issue around 10,000 feet alt. The injection pump needed to be adjusted and it went away.
Thanks again for the advice, I'll get a look at some point this week, everything is closed now so parts(fuel filter) aren't available until Thursday.
Still the same issue with new fuel and filters. I had a local recommendation to have the injectors cleaned. I am thinking that I will try that next, they are pretty accessable and we have a puller in the shop.
thepumpguy is the expert, I'd try his suggestions first. If you do pull them, keep track of where they came from, in case one or more is bad, and something happens down the road. Have you worked it a couple hours with the new fuel?
I wouldn't do anything until all the old fuel is gone besides adding power serve injector cleaner or similar. Steve
Why not try the timing first, it wont cost u a dime.. & if its engine oil, it'll help burn it off..
Mine was a timing adjustment.
O Ok, I'll try play with that next. I tried the seafoam in the fuel filter trick but it didn't help any. I have ran it wide open for a couple hours plowing our shop lot here and it still is the same.
I'm not 100% sure on how to adjust pump timing, I have never done it before. It is a Bosch pump and I see mark on it but nothing on the block (see pic). Is an adjustment as simple as backing off the nuts and giving it a slight turn? I will mark it as is so I know what it was at.
I thought u had a CAV/Delphi pump.. BUT YES, loosen the 3 nuts & turn.. Theres NO arrow on that name plate.. sorry for the confusion.. U want to turn it OPPOSITE the normal direction of pump/engine rotation. {Just a few degrees.} U COULD remove the front plate & watch the gear move to determine the normal rotation.. OR clean off the np & on 1 of the stampings it will say R-423 or L-423<example, not real #'s. That LETTER will tell u the rotation of the pump, LOOKING FROM the drive end{front of the pump, looking back} Just scratch a line.. Take 1 of the nuts back & make sure the mounting holes are oblong & the timing IS adjustable..
Thanks for the advice, couple pics attached showing what I'm looking at here. The pump is bottomed so I cannot twist it right, however lots of adjustment available to the left. Only letter I can see that resembles your example is an L and it is buried in a long number (see pic, hard to see but at the end says L955-2). Also, what is the bolt below my mark with the arrow type piece on it? Looks like some sort of adjustment?
Pic of NP
Good news, it runs perfectly now. Found a disconnected/frayed wire on the pump, not sure what it is for but it made all the difference. Found it while trying to figure out the timing adjustments, I did not have to make any adjustments to the timing in the end.
HeavyEquipmentForums So the pumpguy doesn't have to repeat himself...
Good deal.!!! the timing was bottomed anyway..lol
Sweet
Tell the boss u want a raise... Lol
Good info! Adjusted the pump timing on my 465 Series 3 and next to no smoke now