Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 430 Skid Loader Hydraulic Oil in Engine

billybob_0169 ยท 2014-09-02 11:10

I have a Case 430 Skid Steer and somehow it got hyd. oil in the engine oil was using it the other day and blew a hydraulic hose on my grapple bucket so I fixed that and continued to use it.. after I was done inoticed it was low on hyd. fluid.. I added 2 1/2 Gallons and it was back up on the sight gage... I ran it an hour and everything was fine... I hooked it up to the post hole auger yesterday to drill some holes and on the 2nd hole running it at a idle all the sudden the motor took off running wide open... I shut the key off but it kept running and pouring black smoke out the exhaust unitl it died... I drained 2 or 3 gallons of Oil/Hyd Oil out the oil pan and started it up and drove it on the trailer... everything worked fine... I called my dealer today and he told me it was impossible to get hyd. oil in the engine unless my skid steer has Hi Flow Hydraulics which it doesn't ... I am lost... has anyone ever had this happen?

Replies6
  1. #1KSSS2014-09-02 21:28

    There are guys on here that are better to speak to this than I am. However I can think of no way that hyd. oil can make it into the engine with or without high flow. There is a mechanical coupler that runs off the engine to power the hydraulics. Unless you dump hyd oil in the engine by mistake, I don't see how this could happen.

  2. #2Delmer2014-09-02 22:05

    You sure it's not diesel in the oil?

  3. #3Swannny2014-09-03 09:21

    That's what I would ask and if the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid is definitely down 2 or 3 gallons.

  4. #4billybob_01692014-09-03 15:17

    My bad it was diesel fuel... I just assumed it was hyd. oil cause my hyd oil was down and the oil didn't smell like diesel... I also thought diesel would settle out from oil but apparently it wont... Put a new fuel/Lift pump on last night and ran it for 30min and there wasn't any fuel in the oil... but not sure how long it would take to accumulate 2 extra gallons in the crank case...

  5. #5Delmer2014-09-03 22:21

    Good deal. You did change the oil, didn't you? And keep an eye on the dipstick.

  6. #6billybob_01692014-09-04 09:29

    Yup Changed the oil and ran it another hour last night and the oil level never changed... I just would of never guessed that a $65 Part would fix this...