I bought a used case 440 with hi flow . This is my first skid loader and would appreciate any help with troubleshooting a few problems that I have found. So there are two sets of hookups for auxiliary hydraulics. Assuming that one set is for standard flow and the larger set is for hi flow ? When I hook up an attachment ( low flow brush hog or rototiller ) I go to use constant flow in low with low flow switched on and it won’t stay running at all . If I switch to hi flow still hooked to the smaller set of couplings it stays on but when I move the loader arms to quick it cuts out.
When you say it "cuts out" do you mean the brush cutter just slows down for a second or two and then speeds up? If so, that's what mine does. If I understand the high flow circuit correct, you may have a problem in the "combination solenoid". The power from the hi-low switch controls the movement of the solenoid and it may be stuck in the high flow position.
No mine does not speed back up I have to shut it off then turn it back on.
And for the hi/low switch it will turn on in low flow but doesn’t stay running as soon as you put it to work or move the loader arms it shuts down like it lost power . On my brush hog I have a bybass so it will spin down slow so at first I thought it was cutting out completely but with my rototiller it doesn’t have that so when in hi flow if I shut it of it comes to a dead stop which is different from when It cuts out it spins slowly but never speeds back up
It’s been a while since I have had time to try to fix my machine but now I’m back at it and hoping I can pick your brain on this issue. So after looking into this more I have realized that when I use tilt is when I loose power to my attachment. Also my bucket leveling doesn’t work on this machine either. Didn’t know it even had it until going over the machine and prints from case web site . So I also hooked up a hydraulic gauge good for up to 5000 psi to my female couple and tested the pressure and that didn’t go so well. It would hit 3000 psi sometimes but rarely it was all over the place even as low as 700 psi. I took apart the main pressure relief valve cleaned it and put new orings on it any put it back together it doesn’t appear to have anything wrong with it but when trying to adjust it it doesn’t really change it from going all over. Would it be possible that is bad. Or with the power going out when the tilt is used and the bucket leveling doesn’t work would this point you in a different direction?
The bucket leveling and the loss of flow when you tilt could be connected. The auto level moves the tilt cylinder to keep the bucket level as you raise it, (it only works going up). I am not sure why it is doing what it is doing, but the 440 itself is one of my all time favorite SSL's. Big time power for a small machine.
It is always hard to tell someone here or on the phone what is wrong with a machine. Testing needs to be done to really know what's going on. With that said, reading my tech manual, one problem could be a sticking valve in the self leveling valve or has worn spools. You could have a defective circuit relief valve in your loader control valve. This is not the main relief valve you had apart. This valve is part number 87445935 and is nor serviced separately.
Thank you I will see what I can do . Think I’ll try the self leveling valve first take it apart and rebuild it. Are the spools rebuildable?
Ordering the circuit relief valve also it’s pretty cheap.
What testing would you recommend?
All you can get for the leveling valve is a seal kit and a complete relief valve. Nothing else is fixable. Testing is a drawn out process and you need a hand pump, flowmeter, and a test fitting kit.
Ok well ill gamble and try the seal kit and the relief valve that you supplied me the part number on. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop. Know any reliable repair shops or heavy equipment mechanics in the south east Michigan area?
Or if there is a manual that can show me how to test everything I need to I would buy that also. I have a flow meter and gauge for up to 5000 psi but I don’t have the hand pump or the test fitting kit or the know how. I would rather learn to do it . If you know what manual I need please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
Would a enerpac work for the hand pump ?
The repair manual number is 87578830 NA and replaced the 87364091NA. You can order them through Case or search the internet for them. There is one on * bay right now for less than $67.00