Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 445 series 3 engine surges

Ralph smith ยท 2018-02-26 12:12

we have a 445 series 3 that was running great until it was run low on fuel. Now at full throttle it will run great for a minute then start surging and puffing blue smoke. I have already replaced both fuel filters. Any ideas?

Replies5
  1. #1GaryHoff2018-02-28 00:33

    Possibly a bad fuel lift pump (case part number 2830122) Should have 5-7psi. Common item to fail

  2. #263 caveman2018-03-01 06:07

    I would check tank pick-up tube for trash or restriction.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-03-01 06:34

    Both are correct.. easiest thing to do is pull the feed hose between the filter & fuel tank.. remove the fuel tank cap & back blow w/ compressed air.. Bleed the air outta the system & give it a try.. While bleeding the air, you should be able to tell the condition of the lift pump.. does it pulse fuel w/ every rotation of the engine..?? If it pumping, GOOD.. tighten it all up & run it.. It'll take a few minutes for all the air to work out of the system.. Good luck.

  4. #4Ralph smith2018-03-01 17:58

    Thank you for the input I ,probably prematurely dismissed the fuel pump since they didn't run it out of fuel. However I will check both on Monday and let you know.

  5. #5Ralph smith2018-04-21 13:28

    Sorry we got busy. I feel like an idiot, the supply line was obstructed. Really a rookie mistake, thanks for the help and guidance I over complicated the problem!