Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help on Deere 240 Series 2

Koerperich68 · 2018-02-26 00:02

First post here so bare with me. I picked up a Deere 240 series 2 (year unknown) from a guy today that was in a bind for $3500. It has 3000 hours on it and seems to be in good shape. I don’t know a darn thing about it so any input would be great. What motor is in it, problems to look for, did I pay too much, etc? Any help or input on what I got myself into would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Replies4
  1. #1JonathanMA2018-03-02 15:55

    You got it for a good price. They are Ok machines-- Like everything they can have their quirks-Some hate them for the electrical issues they can have but many times someone unknowing has been into the wiring and created more issues than it started with-- Those had/have monitor issues as the park brake solenoids and the loader valve lock/safety solenoids have their grounds routed through circuits in the monitor--When a solenoid fails and draws excess current it can ruin the monitor and you'll get weird park brake actuation issues etc. If the monitor was ever replaced (lots have been) it'll start over at 0 hours--so never trust an hour meter!-- Clean the fuse connections near your right knee as that can cause odd symptoms--If it has a cab with heat, that can have burnt terminal issues at the key switch-Good clean connections help all around- - If the monitor acts odd or requires replacement--the failure is usually secondary to a solenoid drawing excess current--so that has to be repaired as well. Its a Deere 3 cylinder engine--I forget the size -- usually not a problem-- they vibrate at slow speed due to only 3 cylinders. Sometimes the park brake doesn't work due to the above electrical issues and operators drive through the brakes and end up damaging them. Any questions, fire back and I'll see if i can help..

  2. #2Koerperich682018-03-02 20:03

    I figured I didn’t do too bad on price since I got a bucket and forks with it but it was a real impulse. I just want to make sure it isn’t a money pit for me. It’s ran just fine and done want I need it to every time except one. I couldn’t get the park brake to come off. My hydraulics still worked but couldn’t get it to physically move. Easy remedy for that? I also don’t know the last time it’s been serviced so what would recommend for the once over? Oil change, hydraulic filter etc? I understand I bought used with a lot of hours so problems will arise but I want to at least get it in complete order and on my service schedule. Thanks a lot for your help.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2018-03-02 21:21

    Does it have a door? I had this happen with 260 II, I think it was the door was closed and the seat belt sensor was going bad.

  4. #4Koerperich682018-03-02 23:20

    No it doesn’t have a door