Hi all, I am looking for someone who knows the case 4496 inside out. Primarily the electronic steering system. I bough one of these machines nice and cheap so now I'm fixing it up. The problem I have is the electric steering system is not working. When I first looked at it I tested everything as best as I could and found I had a failed rear steering sensor. So I bought the last one in the country that I know of (so the dealer says) fitted it and aligned the steering. Wooo ! it all works, then ten minutes of driving and it all went to ****! and stopped working. Before I could align the rear wheels with the manual switch even though the rear sensor was not working. So after a mental fuse blow (I went off!) I started retesting at the controller. I found that the power supply to the controller was fine but no power is being delivered to the sensors. I had also lost power to the LED wheel indicator. So I have found out that the controller has a safety system the stop it if there is a fault but I have a couple of questions. - can the controller be reset with out sending away ? - Is there a difference in parts form the front steering sensor to the rear, if so what problems could it cause ? - And any other suggestions would be really appreciated. Regards Will
Did u check the voltage at the controller input? There is a 1 amp fuse in the computer area in a inline holder. Did you recheck the sensor connections? a short anywhere in the sensor circuit will cause that and those wires are a bear to hook up and keep seperated. The controllers were designed to take shorting out , that was demonstrated at our service training, does the controller get extremely hot when powered up, if so I'm back to a short somewhere. there is no reset to the computer but that is one of the last things I would suspect to fail, but----------.
I tested the main power to the controller at the 1-10 pin vertical connecting bar were everything is screwed, but not from the controller side. I will investigate the 1Amp fuse aswell. I will inspect and test the harness too, Im in the thought of just replacing the sensor and force motor harnesses as it is. One thing I did find out is that I had fitted a front sensor the rear position. Im not sure if this cause my fault. I learnt through some reaserch that they are two different part numbers(I was supplied the wrong one not knowing any different) and have different resistances when being tested. the rear sensor has less than the front in resistance. I will keep you up to date on my progress. Thanks for the tips
OK, just let it run a while and feel the controller for temperature, At service school the instructor hooked one up to a powersupply and completely shorted the output to ground and then we went to some other area of study, came back much later and the controller was so hot you couldn't touch it, he removed the short and the output voltages returned to normal immediately. That sold me on the durability of the controller and its ability to stand abuse. I still suspect a short in the sensor circuit. You said the steering worked for a short period after the sensor was replaced so the resistance difference didn't keep it from working. If you disconnect the sensors does the ability to steer with the rocker switch and the rear wheel position sensor return?
Wow that is a tough controller ! When I started testing after it failed I removed wires 2-3-6 and 7 which are red and white sensor wires for front and rear. There was still no voltage output. when those wires are disconnected I still cant steer the rear wheels with the rocker switch, the whole system seems dead. I havnt disconnected the black wires form the sensors to the controller and tested it. will try that too.
So I found the problem after lots and lots of more testing. It was a simple fix, I found the earth wire for the force motor had an internal break. I had actually tested it before and it tested fine but when testing a second time wire had open circuited. I pealed the coating back to find broken wires caused from vibration I believe at the crimp. Thanks for all your help either way guys. Also for anyone wanting to test a system and you only have a spear front wheel sensor, the system works fine if its fitted to the rear. I have done around 20hrs work with the machine and no issues. The controller doesn't heat up and at this stage I cant fault the performance. And a farming I shall go !!!!!!!!!!
Congradulations, persistance is the name of the game on those steerings. I once had a customer replace one and hooked the wires up to the sensor wrong, I corrected the wiring but could not get it to track, evidently the wrong hookup heated the sensor up and took it out of a range the contoller could work with. Another correctly installed sensor and all was well. Good luck, Mel